•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Arcs of Lights in Images

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Iguess09

Iguess09

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Louisiana

Posted 17 January 2021 - 06:57 PM

I have been imaging with an Explore Scientific ED80 and a ZWO ASI294MC Pro.  When I try and image certain targets, I get arcs of light that go through the image.  The strange thing is, is that the arcs have only appeared when trying to image M101, M42, and M78.  The arcs do not rotate with the camera and I have tried covering every part of the imaging train to see if light was leaking in.  I switched out with my DSLR as well and the arcs are still there.  Does anyone have any other suggestions or possible solutions?

Orion Arcs.jpg  

This is from a 10 second test exposure

#2 Midnight Dan

Midnight Dan

Voyager 1

• Loc: Hilton, NY, Yellow Zone (Bortle 4.5)

Posted 17 January 2021 - 07:26 PM

Those are probably not light leaks.  They look like reflections from bright stars nearby.  I'd say Rigel and Alnitak.  You might have something reflective in your imaging chain.  Check for things that are not painted flat black on the inside.  Also, extending your dew shield can help with stars that are outside the field of vies.

-Dan

Edited by Midnight Dan, 17 January 2021 - 08:27 PM.

#3 Iguess09

Iguess09

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 January 2021 - 07:38 PM

For spots that are not a flat black, but a glossy black, could I paint over them with a matte black paint?  The dew shield is fully extended in this pic and its not very long on this scope.  I'm guessing that I could just get some stiff poster paper and make an extension.  Thanks For the suggestions!

#4 Midnight Dan

Midnight Dan

Voyager 1

Posted 17 January 2021 - 08:29 PM

For spots that are not a flat black, but a glossy black, could I paint over them with a matte black paint?  The dew shield is fully extended in this pic and its not very long on this scope.  I'm guessing that I could just get some stiff poster paper and make an extension.  Thanks For the suggestions!

Yep, flat black paint will do the trick.  If you remove the camera and look through the image chain at a bright scene, you should be able to spot items that are too reflective.  

And yes, extending the dew shield with some black poster paper would likely help.

-Dan

#5 Iguess09

Iguess09

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 31 January 2021 - 08:23 PM

Painting the inside of the scope and extending the dew shield fixed the problem. I appreciate the help!
  • Midnight Dan likes this

#6 Midnight Dan

Midnight Dan

Voyager 1

Posted 31 January 2021 - 08:56 PM

Glad you got it fixed! waytogo.gif

-Dan

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics