•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Potential Focus Issue - spikes on stars at the images edges

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 seanboon

seanboon

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 January 2021 - 07:03 PM

Just finished stacking frames from a session on the Iris Nebula and I'm noticing that as I get closer to the edges of the image, I am seeing "spikes" coming off my stars in a particular direction.  My setup is as follows:

William Optics GT81

Flat 6AIII (.8 reducer)

Nikon D750

I attached an example of what I'm seeing.   I'm interested to learn what would cause these spikes.  I'm assuming it's a focusing issue, or is it just inherent with the type of scope I have, flattener and size of my camera sensor.   Could it be that my backfocus is off?   I do use the Bhatinov Mask that came with the scope to focus and feel I'm doing a reasonably good with that.   My stars towards the center of the image generally look good.   

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture.JPG

#2 james7ca

james7ca

Cosmos

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 17 January 2021 - 07:48 PM

That looks like typical optical aberrations which could result from incorrect spacing of your reducer (or just not that great of performance). Does it appear more or less equal in all four corners? If so, you may be lucky since that would probably eliminate tilt in the optical train. You might also want to focus part way between the center and edges of the frame.

#3 astrodom

astrodom

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: NY , USA

Posted 17 January 2021 - 07:56 PM

This looks like coma towards the edge of the field on a lens or telescope with some abberations.  Tell us more about the scope and optical train.  

#4 erictheastrojunkie

erictheastrojunkie

Viking 1

• Loc: Salt Lake City

Posted 17 January 2021 - 08:08 PM

With the full frame sensor your backspacing is going to have to be perfect for good stars in the corners, your spacing is probably a little bit off. Try making some small adjustments with the Flat6Aiii, based on the stars radiating away from center the sensor is probably slightly too close and needs to be pushed further out.
  • seanboon likes this

#5 DJL

DJL

Messenger

• -----

Posted 17 January 2021 - 08:08 PM

I have the same scope and flattener. At first I didn't realize I had to actually adjust the flattener. Unscrew it to 7.1mm and then lock down the gold ring.

Numbers for other scopes on this page: https://williamoptic...nt-not-included

• seanboon likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics