•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Explore Scientific ED80 APO Triplet as first AP scope?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 moonlit_night

moonlit_night

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Indiana

Posted 17 January 2021 - 07:13 PM

I thought I had decided on this scope as my very first AP scope.  In fact, I've placed an order for one on Astronomics (ETA unknown).  Now though, I've read some more reviews on here, and have seen several people complaining about seemingly common issues.  One of the main ones being the focuser.  So, I want to ask:

• What are the problems this focuser typically has?
  • Has anyone purchased one of these recently that can attest to whether the problems are still there?
  • Optical issues seem less common, but not rare... anyone had issues here?
  • Are these problems prohibitive for wannabe APers?

Another question... do you think it's worth going to the FCD100 for a beginner?  Or should I spend my dollars on a different scope entirely?

I have a couple of unmodded DSLRs that I will be using to start off with, but plan to purchase a true astro camera later on.

For my mount, I've also placed an order on Astronomics for a SW EQ6-R Pro.

#2 Endymion

Endymion

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 17 January 2021 - 07:25 PM

My focuser was very floppy and resulted in tilt that is causing bad star shapes. I opened the focuser and found two set screws missing. I had bought it new so it was a QC problem. Explore Scientific sent me two replacement set screws and it has helped but I am still having some flop/tilt. Otherwise the optics seem fine.
  • moonlit_night likes this

#3 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

ISS

Posted 17 January 2021 - 09:20 PM

Your basic choices (80mm F6, EQ6-R)  are excellent, I have no info about that particular scope.

You needn't worry about glass type right now, that's an experienced imagers concern.

The unmodded DSLRs can work fine.  They'll be at somewhat of a disadvantage for emission nebulae, I'd avoid faint ones as targets.

• moonlit_night likes this

#4 moonlit_night

moonlit_night

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Indiana

Posted 18 January 2021 - 09:05 PM

Just thought of another question... will you typically need extensions for visual and AP?  I've seen a post somewhere that said you'll typically need a single extender for visual, and 2 for AP.  I'm slightly confused by this, considering my past experience/failure with trying to achieve prime focus with a DSLR on an f/5 newt.  I couldn't get enough inward focus.  Is this the opposite for refractors?  i.e. For prime focus, the sensor needs to be farther out than eyepieces for visual?

#5 Endymion

Endymion

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 18 January 2021 - 09:58 PM

Yes you will need the extensions.  The body of the OTA is short and needs the extensions to get to 480mm focal length.

John

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics