•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Button fix for Orion SynScan Goto hand controller

dob equipment mount Orion reflector
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 JJDreese

JJDreese

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 18 January 2021 - 02:05 AM

I bought a used Orion XT10g and the ESC key didn't work on the SynScan hand controller. It turns out the underlying electrical contact pads had some corrosion or dirt on them. I used the old technique that I used to clean slot car contacts.  It's pretty easy. You'll need a skinny Phillips head screwdriver and a pencil eraser.

WARNING: Be very careful because taking this apart could break something.

1) Flip it over and remove the six Phillips head screws. Then remove the back half.
2) Remove the two Phillips head screwdrivers that hold down the end with the RJ6/phone jack connectors (circled in yellow).

3) Carefully lift up the circuit boards from that end, tilting them up so you can see all of the gold contact pads.

4) Use a pencil eraser to gently clean the pads pertaining to the button that no longer works (see red circles for the ESC button contacts).

5) Just reverse the process to close it back up, being careful not to pinch any wires.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20210115_002744.jpg
  • 20210115_002909.jpg
  • 20210115_002957.jpg
  • 20210115_003028.jpg

#2 macdonjh

macdonjh

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 18 January 2021 - 07:45 AM

Good tip.  I've done something similar to my SynScan hand controllers.  It is amazing how much junk collects under the rubber key pad buttons over time.

• JJDreese likes this

#3 junomike

junomike

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 18 January 2021 - 02:59 PM

I've done this a few times over the yrs.  Learned it from my Vintage Synth days (same thing needed for sticky keys).

• JJDreese likes this

#4 RogerM

RogerM

Mariner 2

• Loc: California

Posted 18 January 2021 - 03:17 PM

And remember to swab with a little touch of isopropanol afterwards.  Some pencil erasers have vegetable oil plasticizers that leave a non-conductive residue.

In my tech days burnishing the contacts on banks of relays we used lots of swabs and a product called Contact Re-Nu. If the surfaces were badly pitted we brought out the 2000 grit...but that method was only for solid not plated contacts.

• JJDreese likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dob, equipment, mount, Orion, reflector

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics