•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Skywatcher azeqr pro ra shaft replacement

equipment
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 DarKnight101

DarKnight101

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 January 2021 - 11:07 PM

Hi All.

after trashing my RA shaft during disassembly  does anyone know where i can obtain a replacement shaft?

Desperate.

#2 Couder

Couder

Viking 1

• Loc: Mansfield, Missouri in the Ozarks

Posted 18 January 2021 - 11:25 PM

I have replaced many shafts in EQ mounts with stainless steel rod, if you decide to do this or replace with an original I suggest take many pictures (easily deleted later) of current look and then disassembly form many angles - along with notes. It is too easy to think you will remember later, only to find you have to take it apart two or three times to put in a piece you forgot.

#3 DarKnight101

DarKnight101

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 January 2021 - 01:05 AM

Thanks for the quick response.

I would like to use an original shaft.

I'm looking at the damage on the housing thread but think i can clean it up some and still have more than two thirds of ok thread to work with.

The cap nut is in much better condition.

#4 Couder

Couder

Viking 1

• Loc: Mansfield, Missouri in the Ozarks

Posted 19 January 2021 - 09:36 AM

You can buy dies to match the thread (I would use a little lubricant) or you can buy a "thread file" which has cuts to match 8 different threads. Just search for thread file. These are handy when you cannot get a die to start. You will need to hold the shaft while threading - I use my vise, but I put pieces of thin wood on each side so the vise jaws do not leave marks on the shaft.

Edited by Couder, 19 January 2021 - 09:42 AM.

• Applal likes this

#5 EFT

EFT

Vendor - Deep Space Products

• Vendors
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 19 January 2021 - 11:45 AM

Can you post a photo of the damage.  I can't picture how you have damaged the shaft.  This is not something you will find anywhere except Skywatcher and then, it is not a stocked part as far as I know so it will take a long time to get.  I you try to have one made, remember that the shaft has a stop on the end so that it does not slide all the way out of the housing.

#6 georgian82

georgian82

Apollo

• Loc: Healdsburg, California

Posted 20 January 2021 - 01:49 AM

Geoptik makes replacement shafts. You will have to check it fits your model

https://m.youtube.co...h?v=UJusAu1zZMM

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: equipment

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics