•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Orion XT10 Goto not aligning or tracking properly

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 JJDreese

JJDreese

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 18 January 2021 - 11:48 PM

I bought a used XT10g and I can't get it to track very well and the GoTo alignment isn't working very well. Some of the buttons on the SynScan were not registering when pushed, but I was able to clean the contacts and get that fixed. The directional control buttons (left/right/up/down) work great!

Tracking attempts:

1) I follow the instructions to set to azimuth of 0 (using the side scale protractor) and point North before turning on.

2) I enter all of the pertinent info (see below), but that doesn't seem to help with the tracking.

3) It at least tries to track, but it's a bit lurchy - could be rough for astrophotography. When I set the rates to 4 and use the buttons, it moves pretty smoothly when commanded.

GoTo Alignment:

1) The instruction manual simply says to point above the horizon before powering on. Implies that North isn't important either.

2) I use Sirius and Capella for alignment and the process goes pretty smoothly.

3) It says the alignment is successful, but then says "CAUTION..."

4) I push ESC and it lets me do all the normal functions, but when it goes to a target, it is pretty far off, with a bias toward vertical.

5) Case in point, when I had it go to Orion Nebula (M42), it pointed to a place in the sky about 1.5 to 2 fists above it and to the left.  I had it go to the Moon and it was lagging the Moon by about 1 fist or so.

I'm hoping it's something simple that I'm missing.

During startup, here's what I see:

>> Syn Scan <<

Version 04.39.10 (I push ENTER)

----------------------

WARNING, don't look at sun. (I push ENTER)

----------------------

Set Longitude:

W 097° 23' (I push ENTER, confirmed with Google Maps and Compass app)

----------------------

Set Lattitude:

N 032° 52' (I push ENTER, confirmed with Google Maps and Compass app)

----------------------

Set TimeZone:

-06:00   (Dallas/Fort Worth area, I push ENTER)

----------------------

Set Elevation:

+0208m (That's my ground level altitude here, I push ENTER)

----------------------

Date mm/dd/yyyy

01/18/2021  (It remembers the last date used, but never increments the date, so I change the date manually. I push ENTER)

----------------------

Time:

20:02:07  (It ALWAYS posts this same wrong time no matter what I do above, so I change time to current local time in 24-hour clock. I push ENTER)  

---------------------

Daylight Savings?

>NO   (I push ENTER)

--------------------

Begin Alignment?

I've looked through many of the posts and some say to point the scope north/horizontal even when using GoTo, despite the instructions saying it's not necessary.  Some posts say to point it in the "Home" position, but I have not figured out what that means.  Lastly, some posts make it sound like the bottom of the base also has a separate "Home" position and it has to be maneuvered so it points North as well.  Not sure how to determine that though.

#2 junomike

junomike

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 19 January 2021 - 08:16 AM

See pg 41 about"Caution"

Others have had no issues with it but try setting it to zero to be sure.

• JJDreese likes this

#3 JJDreese

JJDreese

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 21 January 2021 - 12:20 AM

Turns out it was the elevation encoder!  The set screws on the encoder shaft had all come loose.

#4 junomike

junomike

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 21 January 2021 - 08:16 AM

Good to know you found the issue.  Hopefully this thread will help someone else out having the same issue.

#5 JJDreese

JJDreese

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 27 January 2021 - 03:16 PM

For completeness sake, I'm uploading a picture of the elevation (altitude) encoder shaft to show the screws that worked themselves out.

Attached Thumbnails

• ElevationEncoder.jpg
  • TiltAxis.jpg

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics