•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

EQ6-R Pro, Unrecognized Device in Windows

equipment mount
  • Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Scerion

Scerion

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Texas

Posted 19 January 2021 - 01:39 PM

Greetings all!  Newly joined to Cloudy Nights but a long time lurker.

I recently got all my equipment and am getting it all in order, but I ran into a snag while getting everything connected.

After installing ASCOM Platform 6.5 SP1, and the EQASCOM drivers v200q, when I go to plug the mount into my computer Windows states it's an unrecognized device and no COM ports show up anywhere.  The device has a bang next to it in Device Manager and says it stopped the device due to a reported problem.  "A request for the USB device descriptor failed."

I attempted this first on my laptop I'm using for my imaging workflow, and then later on my PC at home.  Both had the same trouble.  I've attempted different USB cables as well and it's the same.  

I did initially update the SynScan and the mount's motor drivers to the latest without issue, but I connected to the mount via the SynScan USB at the time.

Win 10 Pro, 20H2 (up to date)

EQ6-R Pro mount

MC Firmware 3.07, SynScan 4.39.15

Error images/ device properties: https://imgur.com/a/OL1jTQX

Has anyone else come across this?  Maybe, hopefully, a solution I haven't worked out yet?  

Thanks and I appreciate your time looking at this.

#2 Sky King

Sky King

Ranger 4

• Loc: Arizona

Posted 19 January 2021 - 01:56 PM

Welcome! Did you install the Ascom driver from Skywatcher?

Edited by Sky King, 19 January 2021 - 01:56 PM.

#3 Scerion

Scerion

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 January 2021 - 02:57 PM

Hi Sky King!

Thanks for the reply :)

I didn't install either of those ASCOM drivers, as it's for using the SynScan app or running through the SynScan and I was wanting to connect directly through the USB on the mount itself.  

I believe I only need EQMOD ASCOM drivers.  Looking at this video: https://www.youtube....h?v=csRSXBvQixg his shows up as a Port device after installing drivers and connecting the USB, but mine is an unknown device.

I had read there were issues with Windows not keeping up with Prolific Serial Comm Port drivers, so I tried updating those as well, but unfortunately that didn't change any response.

#4 Sky King

Sky King

Ranger 4

Posted 19 January 2021 - 03:23 PM

I used the same video. You need to pick ASCOM HEQ5/6. That is the EQMOD driver. But it looks like your problem is before that, in getting the usb to be recognized in device manager and assigning a com port. I believe I saw a similar previous thread and after contacting Skywatcher it was fixed by loading their driver, but I can't find the thread. Maybe some help hereAlso found this. And another one, see John Upton's post.  One more link here, hope one of these helps!

May seem obvious, but don't forget to have the mount powered on...

Edited by Sky King, 19 January 2021 - 03:49 PM.

• Scerion likes this

#5 Scerion

Scerion

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 January 2021 - 03:43 PM

Thanks Sky King! I'll check those out and see if they'll help.  

Will report back findings.

#6 Sky King

Sky King

Ranger 4

Posted 19 January 2021 - 03:56 PM

Eureka! I found the thread! Try this one.

• Scerion likes this

#7 Scerion

Scerion

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 January 2021 - 04:29 PM

Ahh that last one might be it :) looks like the user had to reach out to support and get a driver from them directly. 

I've emailed them now.  

• Sky King likes this

#8 jdupton

jdupton

Gemini

• Loc: Central Texas, USA

Posted 19 January 2021 - 05:04 PM

Scerion,

I think the post that user "Sky King" was looking for in Post #4 is this one from a few days ago.

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/699466-eq6-r-pro-owners-club/?p=10804347

It points to the correct driver to load as recommended by SkyWatcher support.

Given the symptoms you are seeing in the Windows Device Manager, I am not sure the driver is the problem. Since the device (your mount's USB port) did not respond with a valid VID/PID, it means the connection was really having trouble. This was not just an error of being unable to load the right device driver; the chip in the mount did not respond at all when Windows asked it to identify itself. That is the first thing any USB device of any kind has to do.

In any case, try loading the driver first and try again. If you get the same result, I suggest you contact SKyWatcher as it is possible the chip in the mount is faulty. If that is the case, you may need to swap out the control circuit board in the mount (or return for repair). See what SkyWatcher has to say. A repair at home by swapping the board is pretty easy if required.

John

Edited by jdupton, 19 January 2021 - 05:06 PM.

• Sky King and Scerion like this

#9 Sky King

Sky King

Ranger 4

Posted 19 January 2021 - 05:58 PM

Also, am I clear on the fact that you have a usb port on the mount and another one on the bottom of the hand controller and that the hand controller usb worked and connected to the computer with a com port, to upgrade your firmware, and the usb connection on the mount is the one you are having trouble with? (You likely want to not have to use the hand controller at all.)

If that is the case you could connect with the hand controller usb to the laptop and eqmod and start using your mount right away. (I haven't tried this, so I don't know if you need to change it to PC Direct mode for it to work.) Then you could continue to figure out what's up with the usb mount driver or control circuit board as noted above, or wait for skywatcher support. 

• jdupton likes this

#10 Scerion

Scerion

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 January 2021 - 07:36 PM

Scerion,

I think the post that user "Sky King" was looking for in Post #4 is this one from a few days ago.

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/699466-eq6-r-pro-owners-club/?p=10804347

It points to the correct driver to load as recommended by SkyWatcher support.

Given the symptoms you are seeing in the Windows Device Manager, I am not sure the driver is the problem. Since the device (your mount's USB port) did not respond with a valid VID/PID, it means the connection was really having trouble. This was not just an error of being unable to load the right device driver; the chip in the mount did not respond at all when Windows asked it to identify itself. That is the first thing any USB device of any kind has to do.

In any case, try loading the driver first and try again. If you get the same result, I suggest you contact SKyWatcher as it is possible the chip in the mount is faulty. If that is the case, you may need to swap out the control circuit board in the mount (or return for repair). See what SkyWatcher has to say. A repair at home by swapping the board is pretty easy if required.

John

Thanks John!

I believe i had actually found that post too.  I attempted to update the Prolific drivers on my home PC while having the mount here nearby and it still isn't being recognized after that install.  :( Attempted on the laptop and I'm seeing the same issue.  I think I may be down to the USB connection/ the board that's the problem.  It's good to know the board swap out is easy to do :) The mount is definitely under a year old so should be under warranty, but ugh, I'd hate to ship this thing, it's so bulky and heavy.  Maybe they'll send me a board instead :) 

Also, am I clear on the fact that you have a usb port on the mount and another one on the bottom of the hand controller and that the hand controller usb worked and connected to the computer with a com port, to upgrade your firmware, and the usb connection on the mount is the one you are having trouble with? (You likely want to not have to use the hand controller at all.)

If that is the case you could connect with the hand controller usb to the laptop and eqmod and start using your mount right away. (I haven't tried this, so I don't know if you need to change it to PC Direct mode for it to work.) Then you could continue to figure out what's up with the usb mount driver or control circuit board as noted above, or wait for skywatcher support. 

Yep correct! 

I actually have a few solutions...  I actually just ran the mount by itself the other night when I got it all set up for the first time, was actually able to find and shoot the Orion Nebula and it tracked it decently :) 

I do have an ASIAir Pro I'd like to use,  but alas my camera isn't supported on it (Sony A7iii) so I was trying to use NINA.  

So yeah, can go through the hand controller as you mentioned as an option.

I can run the mount off ST4 through the guide camera.  I'll probably go this route in the meantime, seems a little less hassle?  

I also have a USB to RS232 cable I picked up as well when I had initially read about the EQ6R and thought I might need that not knowing there was a built in USB at the time on the newer model.  I should be able to connect off that too I think.

#11 Scerion

Scerion

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 January 2021 - 08:03 PM

So Support did send me back to the same Prolific driver link as mentioned above.  

I've written back about how the USB is still not recognized.  

#12 jdupton

jdupton

Gemini

• Loc: Central Texas, USA

Posted 19 January 2021 - 08:18 PM

Scerion,

If you haven't already, be sure to point them to the images you originally posted. Those show where things went wrong and should help them understand more about the issue.

John

• Scerion likes this

#13 Scerion

Scerion

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 January 2021 - 01:17 PM

I sure did John! :) 

So I've heard back from Support.  They initially had me try another Prolific driver, but even that one didn't work.  

They just wrote back about shipping the mount back for inspection and potential board replacement.  Ugh :( Shipping this thing is going to be a pain.

#14 Sky King

Sky King

Ranger 4

Posted 21 January 2021 - 01:33 PM

If you don't have the original packing, Fedex has a service where they pack it for you with inflatable foam that forms all around the mount. I just got a scope shipped 2000 miles that way and it arrived perfectly in this packing. With it under warranty, it should return good as new. smile.gif

• Scerion likes this

#15 Scerion

Scerion

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 January 2021 - 08:45 PM

Well after a bit of go between, SkyWatcher Support was actually ok with just shipping me out a new control board instead of trying to ship back the whole mount head.  

Should be here next week! Hopefully then a quick replacement.

I'll let ya'll know how it goes. 

Thanks for all the assistance Sky King and John!

• Sky King likes this

#16 Scerion

Scerion

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 January 2021 - 06:01 PM

alright! That was it!

So the new board from SkyWatcher came in today.  There was a version difference between the two.  Old one: Schmidt MC015 Rev D 2018.09, new one: Schmidt MC015 Rev E 2019.04

8 screws, 4 easy to remove plugs, 2 stubborn to remove plugs and a board swap later...

I now have a registered Prolific USB to Serial COM port showing up in Device Manager!  Happy Days!  

Looks like skies should be fairly clear this weekend too to go and test out.

Thanks all for the assistance!

• jdupton and Sky King like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: equipment, mount

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics