•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Which one: TS Optics geared head alt-az mount or TS AZT6 / DSV-M

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Voyager1

Voyager1

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Southeast PA

Posted 19 January 2021 - 02:00 PM

Total paralysis by analysis here. I have my ST80 on a Bogen 3001 with 3-way pan head 3029.  I mean, it's workable but even M42 at 40x (10 mm) is a pain to track (can't imagine a planet). Zenith also not ergonomic.

I was toying with a Porta II head  on a 6x6 wooden pier, but I can save like $40 if I go with the below.

What are the experts thoughts on these?

TS Optics geared head alt-az mount
or
TS AZT6 or DSV-M

I may possibly add a 102 mak at some point in the future. I feel that may dictate the slo mo controls...

Any help appreciated!

https://www.teleskop...otostative.html

https://www.teleskop...to-tripods.html

http://www.desertsky....com/DSV-M.html

#2 Voyager1

Voyager1

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 January 2021 - 11:39 AM

Bueller (for the bump smile.gif ) ?

Does anyone have any user data for the TS Optics geared head alt-az mount?

How hard is it to track objects at high mag with the TS AZT6 or DSV-M?

Thanks in advance. I'm prob over thinking this...

#3 Hesiod

Hesiod

Aurora

Posted 20 January 2021 - 12:15 PM

High mag is very relative with an ST80.

I do not have the AZT6, nor the DSV-M (which is probably among the best of its class), but own a very similar product and it works very well even with the 100/740 refractor or the 5" MCT.

However mind that such design of mount is very sensible to balance and, for the azimuthal rotation, to leveling too (the best performance is attained when can avoid to engage the clutches at all).

If like to have slow motion controls, the Porta would be an excellent alternative (its original tripod is fine for the ST80 or a 4" MCT).

#4 Voyager1

Voyager1

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 January 2021 - 04:29 PM

Thanks. The Porta is prob the best choice, but curious about those other options...

#5 MortonH

MortonH

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Sydney, Australia

Posted 20 January 2021 - 10:12 PM

I would avoid the geared head as it's not balanced, just like your current setup, so anything near zenith will be compromised.  The other two would be fine.  Note that the AZT6 is sold under various names by other vendors, such as the Stellarvue M1V:  https://www.highpoin...muth-mount-head

Edited by MortonH, 20 January 2021 - 10:15 PM.

#6 AlienRatDog

AlienRatDog

Gemini

• Loc: Ann Arbor

Posted 20 January 2021 - 11:35 PM

Bueller (for the bump smile.gif ) ?

Does anyone have any user data for the TS Optics geared head alt-az mount?

How hard is it to track objects at high mag with the TS AZT6 or DSV-M?

Thanks in advance. I'm prob over thinking this...

I have the DSV-M, it’s ok, I can track with my Z81 ok at 60x, at 155x, it can be a bit jerky, the static and kinetic friction are different enough where I can overshoot easily. The trick is to balance everything as much as you can and not crank down on the friction adjustments (and make sure your mount is reasonably level). I do think the motions are still probably better than anything else out there (I can still hand track at 155x). Alternatively, I do recommend something with slo motion controls (such as the Explore Scientific Twilight I) if tracking at high power is important (which wouldn’t be that high with an ST80). Also, the DSV-M is super portable. There may be a wait time after ordering.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics