•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Setting up my rig issue

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Viator092

Viator092

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 January 2021 - 02:04 PM

New guy here.  Been lurking on this forum for some time gathering intel on setting up my first DSO rig.  I've learned lot's in the last few months as I've ordered all the required parts.  Thanks for all the info I've gleaned. Of course it's been a process as many items are on backorder.  All I'm waiting on now is the tripod.......yeah...the tripod.  I ordered an HEQ-5 from a large optics retailer back in December.  The mount head showed up 9 Jan but not the tripod.  The website says the tripod is included but customer service (misnomer) says it's not.  I have an email into them with a link on their website so we'll see what they come back with.  Question, has anyone bought these Equatorial Mounts AND not got the tripod with it?

Looking forward to first light then the inevitable post for help with processing.  Thanks guys!!

Edited by Viator092, 19 January 2021 - 02:05 PM.

• teashea likes this

#2 sg6

sg6

Cosmos

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 19 January 2021 - 02:30 PM

Very surprised at no tripod. You used to be able to get just the head unit but in honesty never seen such available separately for some time. No one here seems to sell just the head  without the tripod as a full setup. So I suspect someone is doing something somewhat odd.

Would help to know where you are.

If US then maybe find and read the skywatcherusa web site, if they do not have the head as a separate unit then I would suggest ab email to them. Ask for clarification if they offer the head unit only as an item.

If the description was "mount" then I would expect tripod and head unot, if it said "head" then OK they have not specified it as being with a tripod. But it seems a little strange.

#3 rk2k2

rk2k2

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Cool, CA

Posted 19 January 2021 - 02:32 PM

I haven't bought one of these mounts but by observation I conclude it HAS to come with a mount.  My observation is I have NEVER seen these mounts (any numerous others) offered as mount head only.  For instance, go to iOptrons site- there are many options for a particular mount- with tripod, head only, etc.  As for Skywatcher, the only mount I've seen lately with the option for head only is the EQ8R.

But I could be wrong!  You might contact Skywatcher directly and ask if there is any option to get the mount head only and whether any retailer is authorized to sell the head without the tripod

#4 Viator092

Viator092

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 January 2021 - 02:39 PM

All good points. Surely someone has it wrong at this US retailer. The real pain is waiting even longer to my rig together.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

#5 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama & Gold Star Award Winner

• Moderators
  • Loc: montana

Posted 19 January 2021 - 02:48 PM

Moved to Mounts for better fit of topic.

#6 teashea

teashea

Viking 1

• Loc: Lincoln, Nebraska, USA

Posted 19 January 2021 - 02:53 PM

New guy here.  Been lurking on this forum for some time gathering intel on setting up my first DSO rig.  I've learned lot's in the last few months as I've ordered all the required parts.  Thanks for all the info I've gleaned. Of course it's been a process as many items are on backorder.  All I'm waiting on now is the tripod.......yeah...the tripod.  I ordered an HEQ-5 from a large optics retailer back in December.  The mount head showed up 9 Jan but not the tripod.  The website says the tripod is included but customer service (misnomer) says it's not.  I have an email into them with a link on their website so we'll see what they come back with.  Question, has anyone bought these Equatorial Mounts AND not got the tripod with it?

Looking forward to first light then the inevitable post for help with processing.  Thanks guys!!

I have purchased five mounts in the past six weeks - all Vixen.  None of them came with tripods.  Review the website and see if it specifically says the tripod is included.  Usually it is not.

#7 Mitchell M.

Mitchell M.

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Mountains of Western NC

Posted 19 January 2021 - 06:54 PM

I've notice some retailers do sell eq heads by itself and also sell the head/tripod (mount) together. Check the item you purchased by product number and go from there. Usually somewhere there'll be a "What's In The Box" section that'll list everything you can expect with purchase.

Typically we're seeing HEQ-5 mounts priced at $1150.00. If that's the price you've paid, it should include the mount. If somewhat less, then head only.

I will say tho, just looking around quick-like, I'm not seeing any retailers selling the heq5 head by itself. Every listing I'm seeing includes the tripod.

If the retailer keeps giving you flak when you know for a fact the tripod is suppose to be included with purchase, I would email the manufacturer and let them set things straight with the retailer.

Edited by Mitchell M., 19 January 2021 - 06:57 PM.

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#8 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

World Controller

• Moderators
  • Loc: Georgia

Posted 19 January 2021 - 07:56 PM

Skywatcher USA shows the HEQ5 for $1,150 and specifically mentions this includes a 1.75inch diameter rolled steel tripod. If the retailer's website shows the same description as SkywatcherUSA's website, they should deliver that to you. 

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#9 Viator092

Viator092

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 January 2021 - 08:45 PM

Good luck getting in touch on the phone with customer service. Spent 30 minutes on hold and told to leave a message. Of course the whole time the recording says they aren’t answering voice mails.

I’ll get it sorted out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

#10 Sam Danigelis

Sam Danigelis

Messenger

• Loc: Excelsior Springs, MO

Posted 20 January 2021 - 04:04 PM

If the retailer's website clearly spells out that the tripod is included, then you should insist on that.  If they still don't want to honor that, then I'd ask in writing (email includes this), for a refund and go through another more reputable retailer.

There are plenty of good retailers who are happy to help you.

#11 Knasal

Knasal

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Wisconsin, USA

Posted 21 January 2021 - 11:19 PM

Maybe not the news you’d want to hear, but isn’t it possible it did ship (separately) but could still be delayed because of the slowing of the mail in the US?

Yes it may have shipped in December and you got the scope January 9th, but as an example, I got one of my Christmas cards back today that was marked undeliverable and it was mailed 2 weeks before Christmas!

I’m thinking it may still be in the mail, but as you and others have stated, getting in touch with the vendor to verify is what’s needed.

Keep us posted, and good luck!

Kevin

Edited by Knasal, 21 January 2021 - 11:31 PM.

#12 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 22 January 2021 - 06:03 AM

All good points. Surely someone has it wrong at this US retailer. The real pain is waiting even longer to my rig together.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

What retailer was this and how much did you pay for the mount?

I have sent a PM to Kevin LeGore (Skyward_eyes) asking him to take a look at this thread. Kevin works for Skywatcher USA and is their Cloudy Nights representative.

Jon

• Chris Y likes this

#13 Viator092

Viator092

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 January 2021 - 07:07 AM

Ordered it from OpticsPlanet for $1150. Takes awhile for them to answer answer emails and you can forget getting someone on the phone. I considered the separate shipping for the tripod but when I check the shipping status for the order it says order complete. They are past their two day turn around time on answering email so I’m wondering if they are scratching their heads there trying to figure out what’s going on. Maybe they drop ship and don’t really take some items into stock. Don’t know.

Edited by Viator092, 22 January 2021 - 07:10 AM.

• Jon Isaacs and Knasal like this

#14 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 22 January 2021 - 08:01 AM

Ordered it from OpticsPlanet for $1150. Takes awhile for them to answer answer emails and you can forget getting someone on the phone. I considered the separate shipping for the tripod but when I check the shipping status for the order it says order complete. They are past their two day turn around time on answering email so I’m wondering if they are scratching their heads there trying to figure out what’s going on. Maybe they drop ship and don’t really take some items into stock. Don’t know.

I don't think Opticsplanet specializes in astronomy equipment, I don't think their staff is knowledgeable in the way that Astronomics or Woodland Hills staff is.  My gut feeling is the staff is competent to take orders and handle returns but probably have never actually looked through a telescope. 

You paid full price for the mount, the Skywatcher page says it comes with the tripod, they need to provide you with a tripod.  Did you send them a link to the Skwatcher HEQ-5 page?

https://www.skywatch...ucts/heq5-mount

Jon

• Agatha likes this

#15 Viator092

Viator092

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 January 2021 - 08:06 AM

I did. Just noticed a review citing the same thing. Seems they finally resolved that one.

#16 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

World Controller

• Moderators
  • Loc: Georgia

Posted 22 January 2021 - 08:41 AM

Hopefully you can get it sorted out.

#17 skyward_eyes

skyward_eyes

Vendor - Sky-Watcher USA

• Vendors

Posted 22 January 2021 - 09:39 AM

The HEQ5 includes a tripod. We currently only sell one mount without a tripod and that’s the EQ8-R series due to their size for observatory use.

The HEQ5 ships in two boxes: mount head and tripod. Who ever the dealer is they are mistaken. Unless it was listed as some kind of special deal it should have come with a tripod. You will need to speak with them. If that doesn’t go anywhere let us know directly and we will get involved.
  • Jon Isaacs, Mitchell M., Agatha and 3 others like this

#18 Viator092

Viator092

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 January 2021 - 10:00 AM

Thanks skyward_eyes.

• Jon Isaacs and Chris Y like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics