•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Line filters vs tri/quad band filters

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 stars n planets

stars n planets

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 January 2021 - 02:08 PM

Hi

Would the Ha collect from a 12nm Ha only filter be better than any Ha collected by a tri/quad filter that collects O and S data?

#2 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

ISS

Posted 19 January 2021 - 02:22 PM

Easiest question ever.

The line filters are designed to work with mono cameras, the tri/quad band are designed to work with one shot color.  That is the determining factor.

Using line filters with OSC, or tri/quad band with mono, is a bad idea.  It can work some, but it's still a bad idea.  Inefficient use of each.

Mono plus line filters is better than OSC with tri/quad band.  But more expensive.  That's an easy determination, also.  And a personal decision, containing no cosmic truth.

Edited by bobzeq25, 19 January 2021 - 02:25 PM.

• stars n planets likes this

#3 stars n planets

stars n planets

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 January 2021 - 02:44 PM

Easiest question ever.

The line filters are designed to work with mono cameras, the tri/quad band are designed to work with one shot color. That is the determining factor.

Using line filters with OSC, or tri/quad band with mono, is a bad idea. It can work some, but it's still a bad idea. Inefficient use of each.

Mono plus line filters is better than OSC with tri/quad band. But more expensive. That's an easy determination, also. And a personal decision, containing no cosmic truth.

I guess my question was wrong­čść . if i use a osc camera, would i get better Ha data from a tri/quad band filter or a dedicated Ha filter? The multiband would multiple layers so not?

Edited by stars n planets, 19 January 2021 - 02:46 PM.

#4 t-ara-fan

t-ara-fan

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: 50┬░ 13' N

Posted 20 January 2021 - 03:10 PM

See my comment (#7) here: https://www.cloudyni...s2-filter-data/

There is crosstalk between all the bands with a tri/quad band filter.   The Ha is effected the least because the other elements are fainter than Hydrogen. But S-II gets massive crosstalk from Ha so that isn't good.

#5 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

ISS

Posted 20 January 2021 - 06:32 PM

I guess my question was wrong . if i use a osc camera, would i get better Ha data from a tri/quad band filter or a dedicated Ha filter? The multiband would multiple layers so not?

I suppose it depends on exactly:

what the target is

what your setup is

what you're trying to do.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics