•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Suggestions for prepping a refractor and other equipment for sale?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 MockTender

MockTender

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Fruita, CO

Posted 19 January 2021 - 02:24 PM

Hello-

First post on CN (And I hope it is the right place to post).  I was referred here by Astronomics (where I bought my TV Genesis back in the 90's).  This started out as an opportunity to sell my gear and has turned into a binge reading of lots of things on CN.  Almost makes me not want to sell.

Anyway, my lenses, scope and Losmandy G-8 are all essentially 26 years old.  Unfortunately, after I bought all this equipment I was only able to attend one Denver area sky party and less than a dozen viewing sessions on my own.  Then life went crazy- started three companies, sailed half way around the world and made & traveled in an expedition vehicle, all the while keeping my telescopic equipment (and other things) in climate controlled storage.  Knowing that I would someday return to a more slowed down life, which I would then really use that "telescope".  Well, starting last year I finally settled down in a place (actually excellent for astronomical viewing)- but found I had lost my "telescope viewing" interest (I will be keeping my Fujinon 7 x 50-went everywhere in the world with me-they have been refurbished once and due for a second).

So older, essentially almost brand new looking, what are the things that I should be looking at to make sure a potential buyer gets what he thought he was buying.

Everything, except the Losmandy portable battery (its dead) looks and feels smooth to operate.  But, what are the parts or items that are not visible that should be checked?  Or are refractors like stereo equipment and guns- put them away properly they are fine no matter how long in storage (climate controlled, no where near an ocean)?

I have a month before I can put the stuff on classified- so please, any suggestions to what I should look for or do?

Mark

#2 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama & Gold Star Award Winner

• Moderators
  • Loc: montana

Posted 19 January 2021 - 02:44 PM

Moved to Equipment for better fit.

#3 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

World Controller

• Moderators
  • Loc: Georgia

Posted 19 January 2021 - 06:53 PM

At a minimum, I would test that the mount functions properly in terms of tracking and goto if you have that (this may require that you to set-up under the stars a couple of times). Also check the optics do not have any mold and the focuser works smoothly. 

#4 MockTender

MockTender

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 January 2021 - 09:38 PM

I saw on another post someone talked about "fungus" that they had Tele Vue service for them.  I've looked down both ends of the tube with low and high powered light and see nothing.  

The tracking might be another issue.  I have a JMI NGC-Max which I never fully understood enough to use it.  The Losmandy 492 seems just fine.

The Televue Starbeam has a new battery in it, but no light.  Wonder if that is an age issue with the light.  The battery compartment looks pristine, so no corrosion issue.

#5 MockTender

MockTender

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 January 2021 - 02:29 PM

Yeah! Starbeam is alive.  Turns out one of the batteries was DOA in package. 

#6 MockTender

MockTender

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 January 2021 - 03:47 PM

Went out last night to give the Genesis and gear a tour around the southern sky.  Set everything up.  Found Polaris through the built-in alignment scope to make the mount happy.  NGC-Max all ready.  Starbeam aiming dead on.  The Losmandy 492 when I put the 12 volt to it did nothing.  Showed it was trying to draw power, but nothing came on.  Took it to my truck so I could try another source: that is when the smoke started.  

Opened the front panel and saw that the capacitor above the on/off switch was toast.  Spent several hours getting aquainted with manaual operation.  I had fun, but man it was cold.  

Based on some perusing today on CN, the 492 going out is somewhat common: for varying reasons.   

So $200 for a new motherboard for the 492 or what is possibly the better option for digitaling driving the scope?

#7 charlesgeiger

charlesgeiger

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 23 January 2021 - 11:46 PM

I would call Losmandy and ask for a quote to repair; it might be worth $200.00.  Otherwise, you will be looking at quite an expense to update to a Gemini system...$1k minimum.  So I would probably sell as is for a reduced price for mount.

Charlie

#8 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

World Controller

• Moderators
  • Loc: Georgia

Posted 24 January 2021 - 09:33 AM

I agree that a repair quote for the 492 might be a good idea, given the cost of a Gemini upgrade. Good luck.

#9 MockTender

MockTender

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 January 2021 - 04:15 PM

Just spoke with Losmandy.  They no longer have motherboards for the 492 or parts.  I have an email in to Tech to see if they can point me in the right direction.  

By the way- Special deal this month according to who I spoke with- $200 off $1595 retro kit to Gemini 2.

Edited by MockTender, 25 January 2021 - 04:15 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics