•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

choosing between ipolar and AccuAligning scope

astrophotography equipment mount
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 kim.davis

kim.davis

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Northern California

Posted 19 January 2021 - 06:23 PM

Hi, 

I am considering GEM28 for both portability and handling small-to-mid APO for imaging. There are two options to choose between iPolar and AccuAligning polar scope (although GEM28 with polar is not available now). I would like to hear opinions from those who used both, in terms of portability, accuracy, easy of use, etc. One thing I dislike about iPolar is that I have to drag a Windows laptop which wouldn't be fun at remote sites. I prefer Android or iPad App. One concern about polar scope is accuracy, compared to iPolar. What's your recommendation?

#2 fmeschia

fmeschia

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Mountain View, CA

Posted 19 January 2021 - 07:32 PM

My personal opinion is that the additional accuracy that you can get from the iPolar, compared to a (well-adjusted) polar scope, is not likely to make any difference for the kind of imaging enabled by that mount. I don’t like the idea of having to use a laptop to align, either, and so I use the polar scope to align my iEQ45 Pro. I image at 730 mm f.l., I never felt limited in my imaging by the accuracy of my polar alignment. YMMV of course.

• Hesiod and kim.davis like this

#3 Poynting

Poynting

Mariner 2

• Loc: San Antonio, TX

Posted 19 January 2021 - 07:56 PM

Assuming you will be autoguiding, the polar scope is accurate enough. I've been eyeballing my PA in my CEM60 and can do 5 min at 1000mm no prob, even tried 20 min and stars still look great. The benefit of the iPolar is not getting on your knees, but the downside is the laptop. Once I found the polarscope was good enough, my iPolar and laptop have stayed inside.

Not autoguiding? The extra precision may be worth it, but periodic error and random mechanical errors will limit your exposures.

Edited by Poynting, 19 January 2021 - 07:58 PM.

• kim.davis likes this

#4 kim.davis

kim.davis

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Northern California

Posted 19 January 2021 - 10:05 PM

My personal opinion is that the additional accuracy that you can get from the iPolar, compared to a (well-adjusted) polar scope, is not likely to make any difference for the kind of imaging enabled by that mount. I don’t like the idea of having to use a laptop to align, either, and so I use the polar scope to align my iEQ45 Pro. I image at 730 mm f.l., I never felt limited in my imaging by the accuracy of my polar alignment. YMMV of course.

Hi Francesco, 

Thank you for sharing your experience. I also don't like to having a laptop. Also iPolar supports only Windows so far.

Question. With the polar scope alignment, what was the unguided performance with 730mm FL? 

Thanks!

#5 fmeschia

fmeschia

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Mountain View, CA

Posted 19 January 2021 - 10:10 PM

Hi Francesco, 

Thank you for sharing your experience. I also don't like to having a laptop. Also iPolar supports only Windows so far.

Question. With the polar scope alignment, what was the unguided performance with 730mm FL? 

Thanks!

I never do unguided. With an image scale of 1.1 arcsec/pixel, I simply can’t afford a mount that can track at sub-arcsecond level without guiding. 

• kim.davis likes this

#6 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

World Controller

• Moderators
  • Loc: Georgia

Posted 20 January 2021 - 08:55 AM

Hi, 

I am considering GEM28 for both portability and handling small-to-mid APO for imaging. There are two options to choose between iPolar and AccuAligning polar scope (although GEM28 with polar is not available now). I would like to hear opinions from those who used both, in terms of portability, accuracy, easy of use, etc. One thing I dislike about iPolar is that I have to drag a Windows laptop which wouldn't be fun at remote sites. I prefer Android or iPad App. One concern about polar scope is accuracy, compared to iPolar. What's your recommendation?

If you are imaging without a laptop, are you using a DSLR? If you ever decide to use a laptop and astro camera there are other PA alignment options such as SharpCap.

• kim.davis likes this

#7 Bob_Huerbsch

Bob_Huerbsch

Vostok 1

• Loc: St Augustine, FL

Posted 10 February 2021 - 10:33 AM

If your image scale is 2 arc sec per pixel or higher, the ioptron polar scope should be fine, as long as the factory collimation of the polar scope is good, and you have finesse using a polar scope. 

Edited by Bob_Huerbsch, 10 February 2021 - 10:33 AM.

• kim.davis likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography, equipment, mount

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics