•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Which T-Ring is right for me?

accessories astrophotography optics
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 odie714

odie714

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 January 2021 - 09:18 PM

Hi all, 

I am about to pick up my first AP full setup (Orion 8" f/3.9 Newtonian, Atlas EQ-G, Skywatcher Quattro F4 Coma Corrector, Orion StarShoot AutoGuider Camera and 80mm guide scope) and I am a little confused on what to grab next. I know I need a T-Ring for the A7iii I want to use in this setup, but I'm not sure which one to get. I see a few options online like this or this, but I am not sure if either are 2" T-rings. I found this one that I'm sure is 2", but it is crazy expensive for a little piece of plastic. Am I missing something? Also, what is the major difference between a 2" and 1.25" T ring? Will it effect my photos much? Is there anything else i need in my optical train before I start shooting? A 1.25" T ring would really help with using a barlow (2" ones are harder to find) and possible eyepiece projection, but I also don't want to use it if it has major drawbacks, especially for a full frame. Lastly, if i were to do eyepiece projection, would something like this work, and what are the downsides of eyepiece projection? Any help would be appreciated!

#2 rk2k2

rk2k2

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Cool, CA

Posted 19 January 2021 - 10:04 PM

My recommendation is go for the minus t-ring (the third you listed).  What I have come to understand is T rings are 'regular' (if they don't specify other words) and have 42mm threading (1.25").  WIDE is 48mm or also referred to as 2".  The 'minus' designates a shorter adapter where as regular ones have the appropriate backspacing for the camera it is intended for.  I recommend wide minus rings mostly because you can 'add' length with spacers, where as you can't reduce the length (shorten the light path).   Ideally (for me), the minus T-ring will have no more light path distance than what is required for the bayonet mount portion.  Some T-rings come with a section (nosepiece) that is removable from the bayonet section which results in as short a light path as possible. 

#3 spereira

spereira

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: Bedford, NH

Posted 20 January 2021 - 08:10 AM

Moving to Beginning Deep Sky Imaging.

smp

#4 BobE102330

BobE102330

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 20 January 2021 - 09:15 AM

Given your sensor size, go for the wide ring to minimize vignetting. I get some minor vignetting with a crop sensor on that scope. A standard length ring should get you 55 mm back spacing. What does the CC need? 

I started with the Orion f3.9 and a DSLR. It’s possible to learn AP with it, but you need a high tolerance for frustration.  With a DSLR you won’t be able to use an OAG due to back spacing required. You’ll want to guide, or you’ll be limited to very short exposures. Mounting a guide scope can be a challenge on the Orion. You shouldn’t use the finder mount, too much flex. Your learning curve will be faster and less frustrating with a shorter focal length  scope.  Of course with Galaxy season nearly upon us you’ll want all the focal length you can get. Or shoot Galaxy clusters. 

If you are buying a t-ring why consider eyepiece projection at all?  You’re better off cropping than adding more glass in the optical train. 

Orion has a 2” Barlow that has worked pretty well for me. It wants 55 mm backspacing, so a t-ring with a nosepiece makes it an easy drop in. Guiding and focusing, that’s another story. 

For focusing, get a Bahtinov mask unless you’re going to add an electronic focuser.  Focusing without a Bahtinov generally won’t get you close enough for AP. 

Enjoy the journey.  

#5 michael8554

michael8554

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Wiltshire UK

Posted 20 January 2021 - 10:19 AM

Here's a 48mm T-Ring, but not sure if your Sony has the E mount:

https://www.ebay.co....Y-/264402377060

Edited by michael8554, 20 January 2021 - 10:21 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: accessories, astrophotography, optics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics