•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

80mm finder: CT80 or Stellarvue finder ?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Nate1701

Nate1701

Mariner 2

• topic starter
  • Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 19 January 2021 - 11:09 PM

Howdy,

The CT80 is light and easily had on Amazon. I'm thinking about it since it's lighter than the 80ST. I would mount it on my 127mm MAk, and even my WO GT81.  That's why i want light. I could go for 80ST but harder to find right now.

But with CT80 the rings, finder, etc. will cost more than a used Stellarvue that i am eyeing up.

Versatility? Quality? Any pros? cons?

#2 Dave_L

Dave_L

Vostok 1

• Loc: Joshua Tree, CA

Posted 19 January 2021 - 11:56 PM

Howdy Nate,

There is a pretty lengthy CN discussion on the CT80 here: https://www.cloudyni...-a-good-finder/

#3 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 20 January 2021 - 12:28 AM

Nate:

How do you plan to mount the 80mm finder?  How do you plan to align it?  Will the mount handle the added weight?

Jon

• Sarkikos likes this

#4 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

ISS

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 20 January 2021 - 06:33 AM

Nate:

How do you plan to mount the 80mm finder?  How do you plan to align it?  Will the mount handle the added weight?

Jon

That is going to be a pain for a 127mm Mak.  It won't scale well as a 80mm is big and may get in the way of the head when viewing.

• Sarkikos likes this

#5 Nate1701

Nate1701

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 20 January 2021 - 08:12 AM

Nate:

Jon

Plan was to mount using finder rings that are adjustable. Perhaps those little finder dovetail clamps are too light for the job. Hadnt thought about that too much. I can rig something - i have access to a machine shop. but buying something saves time. The mount is a Bresser Exos-2 It should handle it.

All i know is i need something with more punch if i want to take a picture. That 9x50 doesnt' help me FIND anything.

It's a celestron 9x50 "Not-finder scope" The contrast was terrible.

#6 Nate1701

Nate1701

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 20 January 2021 - 08:31 AM

That is going to be a pain for a 127mm Mak.  It won't scale well as a 80mm is big and may get in the way of the head when viewing.

I need a better finder to take pictures. I feel really blind with a camera on the back of my Mak, and that 9x50 on the side. I wasted a lot of time looking for any fuzzy patch mag 4 to 5. I swung over to M42 and the 9x50 didnt even show a fuzzy patch. That's terrible, it can easily be seen with small binos.  However becuase the Orion Nebula is so easy to know where it is from the bright center that looks like a star I was able to take some shots. Here is a sample. But tough luck trying to find anything else in the sky without a better finder.

Jan 7th. 28 second exposure ISO 1600

This is RAW unedited. I have a stack but i am totally new at processing so getting a better image than this will take a lot of time.

IMG_2277.jpg

Edited by Nate1701, 20 January 2021 - 08:34 AM.

#7 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 20 January 2021 - 09:34 AM

Plan was to mount using finder rings that are adjustable. Perhaps those little finder dovetail clamps are too light for the job. Hadnt thought about that too much. I can rig something - i have access to a machine shop. but buying something saves time. The mount is a Bresser Exos-2 It should handle it.

All i know is i need something with more punch if i want to take a picture. That 9x50 doesnt' help me FIND anything.

It's a celestron 9x50 "Not-finder scope" The contrast was terrible.

What's wrong with the Celestron? I use a 50 mm finder with all my scopes. I'm using an RACI finder with a focuser that uses 1.25 inch eyepieces.

In your situation, access to a machine shop, I'd be looking at one of these.  

https://www.cloudyni...astro

Jon

#8 Nate1701

Nate1701

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 20 January 2021 - 09:41 AM

What's wrong with the Celestron? I use a 50 mm finder with all my scopes. I'm using an RACI finder with a focuser that uses 1.25 inch eyepieces.

In your situation, access to a machine shop, I'd be looking at one of these.  

https://www.cloudyni...astro

Jon

I found it didn't have any contrast. I know binos have the advantage of two eyes - But a 10x50 shows me WAY more than the this 9x50 finder.

When i swung over to orion i was really disappointed that i only saw three stars of the sword but NO luminosity at all. I probably don't have as good skies as you Jon, so you might get more out of a 50mm.

I owned a 9x50 with my Nextar 8SE but that just helped me find planets etc. and it had Goto so i wasn't really relying on it to 'find' stuff.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics