•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

ATR8 (Astro-Tech 0.8x Reducer/Flattener)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Martin Bonadio

Martin Bonadio

Sputnik

• topic starter
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 20 January 2021 - 01:39 PM

Hey all,

Anyone here using a the above FR/FF on their APO. I have a 90mm WO Megrez f6.9 with an ASI183MC camera and looking for a good option for a reasonable price.

Seems well suited for my scope.

I'm considering this or the Hotech SCA (flattening only). I like the FR option to help reduce imaging time and widen the field a little. But most importantly want a nice flat field quality across the image..

Welcome any feedback.

Edited by Martin Bonadio, 20 January 2021 - 04:23 PM.

#2 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

ISS

Posted 20 January 2021 - 02:29 PM

Hey all,

Anyone here using a the above FR/FF on their APO. I have a 90mm WO Megrez f6.9 with an ASI183MC camera and looking for a good option for a reasonable price.

Seems well suited for my scope.

I'm considering this or the Hotech SCA (flattening only). I like the FR option to help reduce imaging time and widen the field a little. But most importantly want a nice flat field quality across the image..

Welcome any feedback.

Feedback.  Different scopes have different field curvature.  So, generally need different FR/FFs.

The best choice is always the manufacturer's recommendation for a specific scope.

The drawers of imagers are littered with mismatched FR/FFs.  DAMHIK.  <smile>

#3 Martin Bonadio

Martin Bonadio

Sputnik

• topic starter
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 20 January 2021 - 04:22 PM

Yes, that's great... Unfortunately, Williams does not have a focal reducer specifically for this scope.  In fact I sent them an email asking what they recommend and got no response back. And, we all know that the "best" choice isn't always what the manufacturer says anyway - that goes for telescopes and other things in life.

Even their own 6A-III is designed for their Z-series latest line-up, and it was designed to screw into the focuser unless you but their adapter for 2" slide-in...  

So we can rule that out - which is why I am asking in the first place... I'm guessing there are other WO 90mm Megrez owners out there who can weigh in on it.  I'd be interested in what they have experienced. I did see a thread from a while back from someone owning an older f6.3 version of my scope who tried the WO 6A-III and said it caused stars to have a dimaond like shape that he wasn't really keen on in his images. So I scratched the idea of a manufacturer specific FR/FF.

Otherwise I'll make a call and try something.....

Edited by Martin Bonadio, 20 January 2021 - 04:23 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics