•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Location, date/time, filled in by Skysafari for Starsense HC?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Chote

Chote

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Bangkok, Thailand

Posted 21 January 2021 - 12:20 AM

There were a number of discussion on this topic; but I would like to make sure it actually works by performing in the right sequence.

Equipment: Starsense Camera/HC, 6SE, Bluetooth-serial connected to HC, Android Tablet running Skysafari 6 Plus

I usually enter (location)/date/time manually before Starsense auto alignment, then connect Skysafari on my tablet via bluetooth. Everything is working fine.

What I want is to let Skysafari feed loation/date/time to Starsense hand controller before I start the Starsense auto alignment.

Just ask for confirmation the following steps are right:

1. turn on Starsense, bluetooth-serial, and tablet

2. run Skysafari, connect to telescope via bluetooth. This step will automatically update location/date/time in Starsense HC?

3. disconnect scope from Skysafari (do I need this step?)

4. perform Starsense Auto Align as usual till finish

5. reconnect scope from Skysafari (do I need step 3 and this step)

6. choose objects and goto from Skysafari

So my question is do I have to disconnect Skysafari from HC before performing the Starsense Auto Align (and reconnect them afterwards)?

Thank you.

#2 blaster

blaster

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Watkinsville, GA

Posted 21 January 2021 - 01:31 AM

Chote. I use skyportal with an evo mount. I am pretty sure the sequence and logic is same with skysafari. Skysafari should be feeding your mount location and time data as it connects. Don't use HC at all and do everything with skysafari

Answer to number 2 Yes
Answer to number 3 No

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
  • Tfer likes this

#3 Tfer

Tfer

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Northern Alberta, Canada

Posted 21 January 2021 - 01:44 AM

Chote. I use skyportal with an evo mount. I am pretty sure the sequence and logic is same with skysafari. Skysafari should be feeding your mount location and time data as it connects. Don't use HC at all and do everything with skysafari

Answer to number 2 Yes
Answer to number 3 No

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

This.

The hand controller will DESTROY your alignment if used with Sky Safari.  The app doesn't ‘see’ the hand controller, so any movements made with it, will throw off your alignment.

Once you are using the app, use the virtual controls that the app has.

Forget that the hand controller is even there. 

• blaster likes this

#4 sg6

sg6

Cosmos

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 21 January 2021 - 03:36 AM

Skysafari doesn't have the GPS. Skysafari gets the data from the GPS of the phone.

I am unsure if the steps are therefore as expected:

2. run Skysafari, connect to telescope via bluetooth. This step will automatically update location/date/time in Starsense HC?

So my question is do I have to disconnect Skysafari from HC before performing the Starsense Auto Align (and reconnect them afterwards)?

So 1 looks reasonable.

2 seems questionable. On my Android the GPS data is from the tablet and it HAS to to be enable to give out the data to apps. Basically the app has to ask and the tablet has to allow and give.

3 Seems utterly useless, you have just removed part of the system/setup.

4 Guess the data will have gone, Doubt it will align.

5 Sometime but not sure when.

6 Only after Skysafari has connected and is synched to the same as the scope.

You seem to have the thought that Skysafari is the central item, it isn't the phone/tablet is the central item.

Just about all the problem here is the use of assorted apps. Also the paragraph:

I usually enter (location)/date/time manually before Starsense auto alignment, then connect Skysafari on my tablet via bluetooth. Everything is working fine.

In a way says a lot. Especially the bit of: Everything is working fine.

Everything is fine so lets change it. To what ? Not fine ?

Is the entry of 4 parameters really that time consuming?

Also shouldn't the location be kept ? So if at the same place why are you entering it everytime?

IF anything I would expect that the Starsense gets connected, or a connection, to the tablet and that it requests GPS Data from the tablet.

Then the alignment, then the introduction of Skysafari to the party.

Almost as you are doing at present, with your fingers removed and the tablet GPS taking their place.

Whether Starsense can do that I have no idea

Reading the now many problems that all seem to be caused by the use of apps. Rarely does anyone ask What am I doing wrong in the alignment? now. I am glad that I can just manually do my alignment. OK, I need to have an idea of where I am in Lat/Long terms (or I use the last one I have already entered). And it might take me up to 3 minutes to do it. But it sure seems a lot easier. And so far has worked everytime.

One probably useless bit of information: Seems quite a few people here are selling their Starsense systems. Keep seeing them in the SGL classifieds. grin.gif  grin.gif  grin.gif

#5 junomike

junomike

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 21 January 2021 - 08:44 AM

There were a number of discussion on this topic; but I would like to make sure it actually works by performing in the right sequence.

Equipment: Starsense Camera/HC, 6SE, Bluetooth-serial connected to HC, Android Tablet running Skysafari 6 Plus

What I want is to let Skysafari feed loation/date/time to Starsense hand controller before I start the Starsense auto alignment.

Thank you.

Using BlueTooth you must due a HC alignment first which requires entering in all the Data unless you add a GPS.

A Mobile Device running SkySafari will only feed the Data to Starsense (or a reg. HC) when hooked up via Wifi.

So IME If I use an ext. BT adapter I have to perform a normal Alignment and then switch over to Skysafari for telescope control thereafter. You can still make adjustments via the HC.

If I use a Wifi connection the alignment the App takes full control and enters the Data however the HC is rendered useless.

#6 Chote

Chote

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Bangkok, Thailand

Posted 21 January 2021 - 09:15 AM

Thanks a lot for your all replies.

I did try it just now. Before Starsense auto align, I connected Skysafari to bluetooth. Checking the HC, the location, date, and time was updated!

I then disconnected my bluetooth, performed Starsense auto align until completed. Pick Capella from HC, it is dead center in my eyepiece.

I then reconnected my bluetooth, Skysafari scope circle was off (usually it is always on spot). The alignment in my Starsense was ruined because I tried slewing it to another object (picked from HC), and it was way off.

So I would revert to my working solution (manually enter date/time, auto align, connect bluetooth); and wait till I complete my homebrew gps module.

Edited by Chote, 21 January 2021 - 09:28 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics