•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Testing capture with short exposures / F10

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 SanjeevJoshi

SanjeevJoshi

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Los Altos CA

Posted 21 January 2021 - 03:01 AM

Tonight was average seeing and getting worse as the evening progressed.   I tested out my earlier target -- M1 using the following set up for short exposures and high gains:

C8 Edge HD

ZWO 294 MC Pro, binned 2 x 2 (seeing did not permit usage at 1 x 1)

Exposures: 2 seconds and 5 seconds

Gains:  450 and 570 (max camera can do)

Sharpcap Pro

No darks or flats (i need to generate some darks at 2 x 2 binning)

Duration:  Roughly 10 mins

While the 294 is not a good fit for RASA 8, it seems to work well with my C8's.   Especially given the noise level is really low, I can turn up the gain very high.  So wanted to compare a couple of short exposures.

First here is 

exposure = 2 seconds, gain = 570.  I kept the color saturation as low as possible to showcase the details a bit more.

Attached Thumbnails

• crab_2s_570.png

• Starman27, mehdymo and roelb like this

#2 SanjeevJoshi

SanjeevJoshi

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 21 January 2021 - 03:02 AM

exposure = 2 seconds, gain = 450.  Unfortunately I was a bit more aggressive on the color saturation, but you can still see the difference from gain = 570.

Attached Thumbnails

• crab_2s_450.png

• roelb likes this

#3 SanjeevJoshi

SanjeevJoshi

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 21 January 2021 - 03:03 AM

Exposure = 5 seconds, gain = 450.

Attached Thumbnails

• crab_5s_450.png

• roelb, dcweaver and hornjs like this

#4 SanjeevJoshi

SanjeevJoshi

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 21 January 2021 - 03:04 AM

And finally, exposure = 5 seconds, gain = 570 (max for camera).

Attached Thumbnails

• crab_5s_570.png

Edited by SanjeevJoshi, 21 January 2021 - 03:05 AM.

• roelb likes this

#5 SanjeevJoshi

SanjeevJoshi

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 21 January 2021 - 03:10 AM

I think 5S x gain 450 may be a tad better than 2S x 570 but its pretty close.   Which one do you think is the best?

Overall, I am impressed with what either can do.   Especially with 2S x 570, it opens up the potential to get a pretty close view in about 5 mins - although 8 to 10 mins seems to be ideal.

Using high gain with a camera like 294 may be a saving grace for slow systems in EAA.

Ignore the bands, they are a result of vignetting and weather.

#6 mehdymo

mehdymo

Messenger

• ****-
  • Loc: Florida

Posted 21 January 2021 - 04:24 AM

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing.

#7 GaryShaw

GaryShaw

Viking 1

• Loc: Massachusetts / Wyoming

Posted 21 January 2021 - 09:05 AM

Hi
What makes you say the 294 is a bad match for the rasa?

Thank you for providing the experimentation above.

Gary

#8 SanjeevJoshi

SanjeevJoshi

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 21 January 2021 - 09:51 AM

Hi
What makes you say the 294 is a bad match for the rasa?

Thank you for providing the experimentation above.

Gary

294 under samples, specifically for RASA 8, and that’s on average seeing.  Worse with good seeing (prohibitive).   I would guess the same for any other C8 F2 system.

So while I love it for fitting and framing the largest DSO’s, a 183 (I own) or 533 (based on others) beats the pants off 294 wrt image quality / details.   Zooming, forget that.  

I therefore use it for the really widefield (70 arc minutes plus) on RASA 8, and with native C8 F10.

With the 183, I can frame up to 70 arc minutes on RASA 8, and it works great for most seeing conditions.  I can also zoom into to see M1, and it’s a reasonable quality for a 5 arc minute object.  Just based on specs, 183 with the quality it provides is likely the best today for RASA 8 for versatility, 533 offers a different trade off with larger pixels and a square FoV.

There does not appear to be a camera that can work well with RASA 8 in excellent seeing (like a few times a year) to zoom in.  RASA 8 seems to need an even smaller pixel, big sensor with a deep enough well.   I don’t think most people are going to miss this much.

Edited by SanjeevJoshi, 21 January 2021 - 10:05 AM.

• Rickster and dcweaver like this

#9 Borodog

Borodog

Apollo

• -----

Posted 21 January 2021 - 10:10 AM

Were you guiding or just tracking?

Sadly I think I have too much plain old vibration to shoot even 2s with my F/10 C8. It’s fine for planetary or lunar because of the ultra short exposure times, but looks like hell for DSO.

#10 Borodog

Borodog

Apollo

• -----

Posted 21 January 2021 - 10:14 AM

Also the RASA is so fast I think your best bet might be mosaics with a smaller sensor/pixel camera. I’m not sure well depth matters too much; just stack more frames.

Edited by Borodog, 21 January 2021 - 10:14 AM.

#11 SanjeevJoshi

SanjeevJoshi

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 21 January 2021 - 10:16 AM

Were you guiding or just tracking?

Sadly I think I have too much plain old vibration to shoot even 2s with my F/10 C8. It’s fine for planetary or lunar because of the ultra short exposure times, but looks like hell for DSO.

Just tracking.   View was a bit jumpy just to seeing, scintillating stars.

Hmm I was using my AVX but even the Evo mount just do fine, I will need to use a star diagonal and be more careful since it’s a cooled camera, 133 mm back focus.

I am pretty sure it’s not a typical limitation for a Evo type mount.   Is yours old?

Edited by SanjeevJoshi, 21 January 2021 - 10:20 AM.

• Borodog likes this

#12 SanjeevJoshi

SanjeevJoshi

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 21 January 2021 - 10:18 AM

Also the RASA is so fast I think your best bet might be mosaics with a smaller sensor/pixel camera. I’m not sure well depth matters too much; just stack more frames.

Yes, I am too lazy to do mosaics.  I just enjoy it during the session, grab a couple pics if anything is worth saving.   I don’t have any processing programs.  Just good old Microsoft to crop and resize to fit the forum requirements.

• Borodog likes this

#13 GaryShaw

GaryShaw

Viking 1

• Loc: Massachusetts / Wyoming

Posted 21 January 2021 - 05:45 PM

Luckily the RASA 11” that I’ve also been eye-ing does ok with the 294 from ‘very poor’ through ‘ok’ seeing. It even looks like it can push a bit into the ‘good’ range of seeing..... seldom experienced at my primary observing site anyway. 

I’ve been wavering between the a RASA 8” versus 11” so perhaps this pushes me a bit towards the 11” although there are other factors that play into it besides my love of the 294. Thanks for making the comment Sanjeev.

Gary

#14 SanjeevJoshi

SanjeevJoshi

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 21 January 2021 - 05:57 PM

Luckily the RASA 11” that I’ve also been eye-ing does ok with the 294 from ‘very poor’ through ‘ok’ seeing. It even looks like it can push a bit into the ‘good’ range of seeing..... seldom experienced at my primary observing site anyway. 

I’ve been wavering between the a RASA 8” versus 11” so perhaps this pushes me a bit towards the 11” although there are other factors that play into it besides my love of the 294. Thanks for making the comment Sanjeev.

Gary

I love my RASA 8 no question.  But this is also true.  A RASA is such a worthy bucket list item, someday my dream would be to own a 11 or better yet a 14 on a fixed pier in my backyard.   Just switch a camera occasionally if needed, otherwise own the skies!   Without the specific experience of owning one, I would say 11 or 14 if I had a choice :)

in my case a long term move is inevitable, and I will need to start thinking of a more permanent system once I settle down.  Until then, it’s ridiculously easy to carry out the AVX and the RASA 8 does great with it.

Yes 294 should do much better with those.   I love the 294 and as you can see - even at max gain, the performance is great.

• GaryShaw likes this

#15 donstim

donstim

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Seattle Area, WA USA

Posted 21 January 2021 - 06:57 PM

Using such high gain values sacrifices a lot of dynamic range. On a mostly bright object and especially for EAA that should be an okay tradeoff for capture time as you have shown.

• SanjeevJoshi likes this

#16 SanjeevJoshi

SanjeevJoshi

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 21 January 2021 - 07:37 PM

Using such high gain values sacrifices a lot of dynamic range. On a mostly bright object and especially for EAA that should be an okay tradeoff for capture time as you have shown.

I agree.  Since I am looking at images captured in a few mins just for the sake of viewing and an observation log or a forum post, the quality is plenty good for me :)

Using 2 second exposures at high gain opens up the ability to use F10 at native resolution with shorter windows of time.

I am picking on M1 for a specific reason.  I continue to test M1 under varying conditions, OTA's, cameras, set ups.. its not an incredibly tough target but it is not a slam dunk like many others.   Seeing conditions, set ups will impact the views, so if I can get a EAA quality view thats comparable, mission accomplished!

• donstim likes this

#17 Borodog

Borodog

Apollo

• -----

Posted 21 January 2021 - 11:22 PM

Just tracking.   View was a bit jumpy just to seeing, scintillating stars.

Hmm I was using my AVX but even the Evo mount just do fine, I will need to use a star diagonal and be more careful since it’s a cooled camera, 133 mm back focus.

I am pretty sure it’s not a typical limitation for a Evo type mount.   Is yours old?

Heh. My C8 is a 1985 Celestron-Byers Worm Gear Drive on an old Meade wedge on an even older C14 tripod.

Yes, I am too lazy to do mosaics.  I just enjoy it during the session, grab a couple pics if anything is worth saving.   I don’t have any processing programs.  Just good old Microsoft to crop and resize to fit the forum requirements.

You say that because you haven't tried Microsoft ICE (Image Composite Editor I think). Drag in images, click Next a couple times, nearly perfect mosaic every time. The image in this thread was nearly 30 individual tiles mosaiced in ICE with I think 2 clicks:

https://www.cloudyni...x#entry10772243

The original full size image is 33 Mpxl, FYI.

Edited by Borodog, 21 January 2021 - 11:24 PM.

• dcweaver likes this

#18 DSO_Viewer

DSO_Viewer

Apollo

• -----

Posted 22 January 2021 - 12:20 AM

How would you do mosaics anyways for EAA?

Steve

#19 DSO_Viewer

DSO_Viewer

Apollo

• -----

Posted 22 January 2021 - 12:23 AM

Looking at your results definitely shows more sharpness and better contrast in the lower gain.

Steve

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics