•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Tasco 5 VTE specifications for new eyepiece

accessories classic eyepieces equipment
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Zupanic

Zupanic

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 January 2021 - 10:20 AM

Hi! I've bought recently a second hand Tasco 5 VTE and wanted to take star pictures with phone. The problem is that the eyepiece that comes with the scope is extremely small and looking through it is really hard to do. So as a solution, I wanted to change the eyepiece for one that the aperture(I don't know the technical term) is bigger for better view of the sky. 
Do you have suggestions of what I should do, buy, modify or avoid?
Thanks in advance!

#2 Garyth64

Garyth64

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: SE Michigan

Posted 21 January 2021 - 11:53 AM

A Tasco 5 VTE is a variable power scope.  That means that the focuser has a sliding tube with a fixed eyepiece.

Changing the position of the sliding tube varies the power or magnification.

Simply changing the eyepiece just won't work, and I wouldn't even bother to try to.  The entire focusing assembly would have to be changed or removed.  It is all one integrated unit.

To use other eyepieces, either .965" or 1-1/4" focuser would have to be used.

Inside the focusing assembly, there is a lens system that is used to vary the power of the scope. 

And in removing the existing focuser and replacing it, the tube may have to be shortened to get things to focus.

I have done this on a variable power scope that I have, and so have many others here on CN.  Getting rid of the variable power assembly on those scopes really helps in viewing thru them, by giving better and wider views.

• BarabinoSr, Tenacious and Russell Smith like this

#3 Kasmos

Kasmos

Skylab

• Loc: So Cal

Posted 21 January 2021 - 05:58 PM

Hi! I've bought recently a second hand Tasco 5 VTE and wanted to take star pictures with phone. The problem is that the eyepiece that comes with the scope is extremely small and looking through it is really hard to do. So as a solution, I wanted to change the eyepiece for one that the aperture(I don't know the technical term) is bigger for better view of the sky. 
Do you have suggestions of what I should do, buy, modify or avoid?
Thanks in advance!

What Gary said... plus you could end up with a scope that may not be good for anything more than very low powers. The one I cut down has too much chromatic aberation (false color), past 20x so I never finished it or use it. Since you sound like a beginner it would be wiser to find a better suited telescope.

• GreyDay, Garyth64 and Tenacious like this

#4 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Gemini

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 21 January 2021 - 08:25 PM

I have the Tasco 5vte    my first scope  Xmas 1965

IT is okay for what it is   a introductory scope   It was   great when I was 7       now just nostalgic   I would consider just using it like it is. I have had mine out on the moon    and looking at birds  

but    there are so many starter scopes that are so much better. Some folks have cut theirs down for low power  wide field sweeping of the milky way  etc...These old Tascos are  inexpensive     mine is sentimental

It would be good  to just keep your eyes out    look at craigs  etc     ask any questions  here on c/n

60mm is fine   I have three in that size     but 80mm would be better   a Celestron C-80  is a good scope  and not just for starters    I had  one and sold it to  new comer for 90 dollars  with a couple of 1.25 sized eyepieces.     I bought another one recently for 70 dollars   but it has no mount    I have plenty of mounts though  I have also seen some Meade refractors for 40  to 80 dollars  that would ne  a good place to start

follow the craigs  ebay  ads  list here in the classics   don't feel like you have to buy anything  right away   just watch and learn maybe

Maybe   the Tasco      just use it   like it is maybe                it is what it is                  keep learning and looking   it is a great hobby

good luck

Edited by Defenderslideguitar, 21 January 2021 - 08:28 PM.

#5 nowhere

nowhere

Mariner 2

• Loc: Vancouver

Posted 23 January 2021 - 12:48 AM

A 5VTE was my first telescope! Well, it was my dad's really but when I got interested in looking at the sky at around nine years old I took it out of the storage under the stairs and made it mine.

As has already been said, trying to adapt a more modern eyepiece would be considerably more trouble that it's worth since the scope has the 15-60X zoom. Keep it as a terrestrial scope or sell it and find something with a standard 1.25" or 2" focuser to take pictures through. 

• GreyDay likes this

#6 GreyDay

GreyDay

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Southport UK

Posted 23 January 2021 - 07:17 AM

As everyone has stated so far the Tasco 5vte is not a good scope for taking pictures. As with it's smaller sibling (4vte-40mm) the zoom section is the weak point. The lenses used are poor at best and the 60mm objective is a very mixed bag, some will have really bad CA and some are tolerable making "cutting down" the ota a bit of a risk. With the added expense of replacing the focuser, diagonal and eyepieces it's also financially questionable.

I would suggest as everyone else has, sell it and buy something more suitable with 1.25" focuser and eyepieces. something like a Skywatcher or Orion ST80.

• Kasmos and nowhere like this

#7 Zupanic

Zupanic

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 05 September 2021 - 02:13 PM

A Tasco 5 VTE is a variable power scope.  That means that the focuser has a sliding tube with a fixed eyepiece.

Changing the position of the sliding tube varies the power or magnification.

Simply changing the eyepiece just won't work, and I wouldn't even bother to try to.  The entire focusing assembly would have to be changed or removed.  It is all one integrated unit.

To use other eyepieces, either .965" or 1-1/4" focuser would have to be used.

Inside the focusing assembly, there is a lens system that is used to vary the power of the scope. 

And in removing the existing focuser and replacing it, the tube may have to be shortened to get things to focus.

I have done this on a variable power scope that I have, and so have many others here on CN.  Getting rid of the variable power assembly on those scopes really helps in viewing thru them, by giving better and wider views.

Am I better to modify this scope with a better focuser in order to make it less terrible ? Or is it better to get a new telescope like Skywatcher's, Orion or Meade 80mm refractors ?

#8 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Gemini

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 05 September 2021 - 06:13 PM

same response as in January It would be good  to just keep your eyes out    look at craigs  etc     ask any questions  here on c/n

60mm is fine   I have three in that size     but 80mm would be better   a Celestron C-80  is a good scope  and not just for starters    I had  one and sold it to  new comer for 90 dollars  with a couple of 1.25 sized eyepieces.     I bought another one recently for 70 dollars   but it has no mount    I have plenty of mounts though  I have also seen some Meade refractors for 40  to 80 dollars  that would ne  a good place to start

so many good scopes  are available  here in the classifieds

and in the classics craigs ebay thread here on C/N 

#9 Garyth64

Garyth64

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: SE Michigan

Posted 12 September 2021 - 09:00 PM

Am I better to modify this scope with a better focuser in order to make it less terrible ? Or is it better to get a new telescope like Skywatcher's, Orion or Meade 80mm refractors ?

You first asked back in January, and now it is September.  Where does the time go?  Have you done anything to the 5VTE in that time?

If I were you, with you being somewhat new to all this, I would not modify that scope.  So, yes, get something as others have suggested.

Edited by Garyth64, 12 September 2021 - 09:00 PM.

• Defenderslideguitar likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: accessories, classic, eyepieces, equipment

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics