•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

SVBony SV407 2x42's just arrived

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Psionmark

Psionmark

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Near Newcastle-upon-Tyne, United Kingdom

Posted 21 January 2021 - 12:03 PM

I ordered a pair of these (actually 2.1x42's) direct from the SVBony site, as they were considerably cheaper than I'd seen them anywhere in the UK. They were £75 direct. I paid just over £9 for delivery, which I was then advised would take between 25-35 days to arrive. I was in no rush, so decided not to opt for the £26 for 3-7 day delivery. One third the cost of the item for delivery seemed excessive.

So I was pretty pleased when they arrived just 8 days later :)

I've yet to try them out at night (forecast looks good for tonight, so fingers crossed), but first impressions are very good. Beautifully clear images into the woods behind my house and very easy to hold steady. They're heavy, but in a

"This is a quality item" way rather than a "This is too heavy" way.

You get lens caps front and rear, a hand strap, lens cleaning cloth and case. The case was not a hard case as indicated on the site, but a soft cloth pouch but, to be honest, that's probably better for me, as part of the reason I wanted these was to stuff in my pocket on evening dog walks to gaze up in the darker sections.

Overall build quality looks superb, especially for just 75 quid.

I have to admit, I'm pretty impressed with SVBony equipment. I've also got their SV305 camera and SV135 Zoom Lens. To my (admittedly untrained) eyes, it seems like you get a lot of kit for relatively low cost.

Just thought I'd let folk know re the price, as the lowest price I've seen for the UK so far was around £115 from Amazon (plus £8 P&P) and that was being shipped from the US anyway.

I'll report back after some night time viewing.

Now, if I can figure out a way to mount them to my Canon 10x30 IS....

#2 Paul Skee

Paul Skee

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Orange County, CA (near Disneyland)

Posted 21 January 2021 - 12:45 PM

I also have the SV407's. With virtually no binocular experience, but having a great affection for wide field viewing, I ordered from Amazon. They arrived in a few days and I was pleased with the packaging as well as the apparent build quality of the product. I was able to see Comet Neowise from my heavily light polluted location in July/August. I had done a little online research before the purchase and decided that for my use, they'd all be about the same. I think the deciding factor was the ability to use 2" filters without an adaptor. I have used them with the Celestron UHC/LPR filters but, in my opinion, they attenuate a little too much. I bought a pair of cheap Moon & Skyglow filters from Astromania which seem to enhance the sky contrast without the dimming introduced with the UHC/LPR. My only gripe was with pivot for adjusting the interpupilary distance, it was a bit weak, I was able to add just a touch of tightness to the pivot to provide a satisfactory performance. I am pleased with the product. It prompted me to pursue binocular observing to the extent of purchasing a pair of Orion 16 x 80's on a parallelogram mount, I'm hooked.

#3 Psionmark

Psionmark

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 January 2021 - 04:42 PM

I’ve had a few nights worth of viewing now and I’m loving these things.

Absolutely perfect for my night time dog walks (although the dog didn’t look too chuffed after 10 minutes stood in a freezing field whilst I marvelled at the skies).

These give an absolutely beautiful view.

I’m also finding them useful at home for scouting the heavens for something interesting to point the scope at.

My Canon 10x30 IS’ are still my favourite but these SVBony’s are a very useful addition to my collection.
  • Jon Isaacs likes this

#4 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 26 January 2021 - 04:10 AM

We need some photos.. :)

Jon

#5 Psionmark

Psionmark

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 January 2021 - 04:30 AM

We need some photos.. :)

Jon

Sure! Of or through? :) The former i can do, the latter might be tricky!

#6 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 26 January 2021 - 05:32 AM

The Svbony 407 2.1x42s.

I have a couple of Svbony eyepieces.  They are entry level widefields.  They seem to be pretty much the same as others but at somewhat better price, more value.

Jon

#7 eyespy

eyespy

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: BC Canada

Posted 26 January 2021 - 08:26 PM

Hi,

After experimenting with a pair of Olympus 56mm - 1.5x extenders I gave up and have also just received a set of SVbony 2.1 x 42mm binos. They appear to be identical except for the machined decoration rings in the barrels to the Vixen 2.1 x 42’s.

They are very solid and well made and the FMC coatings appear very even and a greenish colour.  I was very reluctant to use the included thin wrist strap attachment in part due to the weight and the clumsy feel of them just hanging off my wrist. Others have complained about the lack of the ability to install a regular neck strap to these small heavy binos. While looking at the tripod socket, I realized that one of my spare tripod plate screws with the standard 1/4” - 20 thread and a ‘D’ ring for tightening it would work by threading a length of parachute cord through the D ring.  It worked and the binoculars hang at a convenient angle due the the additional weight towards the eyepieces.  I did try some 3/8” wide webbing for the strap but it was too wide and bunched up in the hinge area and blocked the view. 

Although the weather has been cloudy since receipt, there was a hole in the clouds last night and I was able to quickly view Orion and the Pleiades. The entire constellation was visible and the image was very good.  Pinpoint images in the middle 50% with increasing distortion to still acceptable levels at the edges of the view.  The Pleiades were very good as well. Much better than with the naked eye. Looking forward now to a dark sky without a full moon nearby.  Viewing the moon was good as well and there were no obvious fringe colours around the edges of the limb. 

Hopefully the photos below will show how the tripod socket is used.

Doug.....

Attached Thumbnails

• 654CD947-DA7D-44B4-B648-65E037E0D7E2.jpeg
  • 1DB31950-FE7F-4E36-AAD2-00AD107A8938.jpeg
  • C2443CE6-3949-4819-B6C1-C8850FC52F3B.jpeg

Edited by eyespy, 26 January 2021 - 08:27 PM.

• Jon Isaacs and Psionmark like this

#8 Paul Skee

Paul Skee

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Orange County, CA (near Disneyland)

Posted 26 January 2021 - 10:37 PM

IM - 1.jpg Here's a couple of pictures. One has a filter removed.IM - 1 (1).jpg

#9 Psionmark

Psionmark

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 27 January 2021 - 06:18 PM

Hi,

Hopefully the photos below will show how the tripod socket is used.

Doug.....

That’s a great idea for the replacement cord - I shall give that a try.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics