•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Built a mounting block to fit on my Tripier

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ryanha

ryanha

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 21 January 2021 - 12:27 PM

I tried a few things with tucking the PC and bricks under the tripier but really wanted a way to mount it higher up so it would not get wet even in the event that I had to throw the telegizmo cover on if there was going to be slight rain.

So I built a set of mounting blocks that have a contoured side that matches the curve of the pier so I have a nice flat surface for mounting things.

The miniPC came with a mounting bracket so that was super easy. The other stuff I just secured with a piece of velcro on the back then a velcro strap on the front.

And I used AlexTech cable wrap to tidy any wire bundles that have to travel any distance.

--Ryan

Attached Thumbnails

• Pier Mount Blocks.jpg
  • Mounted PC and Bricks.jpg
  • One Wire.jpg

Edited by ryanha, 21 January 2021 - 12:27 PM.

#2 Kim K

Kim K

Mariner 2

• Loc: Eastern NM

Posted 21 January 2021 - 03:15 PM

A very nice and clutter free setup. Good work..

Kim

#3 Shannon Foye

Shannon Foye

Sputnik

• Loc: Houston

Posted 22 January 2021 - 07:17 AM

Having a flat surface on the Tri-Pier would be nice for mounting a mini PC. As for the power adapters, I stuffed 4-5 of them and a power strip inside my Tri-Pier. I cut off the DC ends and ran them into the pier through the predrilled holes. The foam insert can be pulled out through the top. The plug for the power strip hangs from the bottom of the pier.

Attached Thumbnails

• E084795A-87BC-4498-AE49-0004472769BF.jpeg

#4 ryanha

ryanha

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 22 January 2021 - 08:13 AM

As for the power adapters, I stuffed 4-5 of them and a power strip inside my Tri-Pier. I cut off the DC ends and ran them into the pier through the predrilled holes. 

That is pretty slick! I didn't even think of that.

What did you use to terminate the DC cables after you cut them?  

--Ryan

#5 Shannon Foye

Shannon Foye

Sputnik

• Loc: Houston

Posted 22 January 2021 - 05:44 PM

I used these:

https://www.amazon.c...2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

However, they did not work that well because the plugs tend to work themselves loose. Simple twist caps wrapped with tape would be easier and more secure.

#6 bemo47

bemo47

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: France

Posted 15 February 2021 - 04:42 PM

I tried a few things with tucking the PC and bricks under the tripier but really wanted a way to mount it higher up so it would not get wet even in the event that I had to throw the telegizmo cover on if there was going to be slight rain.

So I built a set of mounting blocks that have a contoured side that matches the curve of the pier so I have a nice flat surface for mounting things.

The miniPC came with a mounting bracket so that was super easy. The other stuff I just secured with a piece of velcro on the back then a velcro strap on the front.

And I used AlexTech cable wrap to tidy any wire bundles that have to travel any distance.

--Ryan

Nice cabling !

But as  you have a CEM70 there, why not using the internal USB and maybe power to connect ur camera, FW and Focuser ? I understand that they are USB2 on this mount but it could be enough for DSO, unless you do planetary with high speed imaging ?

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics