•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

NGC 6188 Origninal and Starless SHO

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Astrovetteman

Astrovetteman

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Terre Haute, IN

Posted 21 January 2021 - 12:28 PM

I haven't ever posted any of my images on Cloudy Nights.....but I read A LOT of the posts, on this Forum, because I find it to be an invaluable resource, especially for image processing!  With that being said, I thought I'd start posting some of my images.  Just a little background.....I use a side-by-side rig with an NP127is/ASI6200MM beside my old TV-85/QHY16200A that I wheel out of my garage into the driveway.  Living in Indiana my skies, this time of the year, are horrible (clouds, wind, and cold).  I love processing astrophotos, so I decided to become a partner/team member of Deep Sky West's remote facility in El Sauce, Chile, using their TOA-150/FLI ML16200.  Here's an image of NGC 6188 I've been working on. 

I've always been in awe of this particular DSO....but residing in the Northern Hemisphere, I've never had a chance to image or process it. NGC 6188, also known as The Fighting Dragons of Ara or The Great Wall of Ara, lies in the Southern constellation of Ara at a distance of approximately 4,000 light-years. It's an emission nebula approximately 600 light-years across. It is illuminated by the open cluster NGC 6193 which is located just above the center of the image. The two largest stars of the cluster, HD 150136 and HD 150135, are causing the nebula to glow. Total exposure time is 22.5 hours.
Anyway, hope ya like it!
Tom

Original Cloudy Nights 1-21-21.jpg

Edited by Astrovetteman, 21 January 2021 - 12:41 PM.

• Joe G, buckeyestargazer, astro140 and 15 others like this

#2 Astrovetteman

Astrovetteman

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 January 2021 - 12:43 PM

Here's the Starless version.....I've got to get used to the format for posting images!

Starless Cloudy Nights 1-21-21.jpg

• gatsbyiv, Dynan, rkinnett and 1 other like this

#3 Older Padawan

Older Padawan

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Colorado USA

Posted 21 January 2021 - 12:50 PM

Hey Astrovetteman. Greetings I noticed your in Terre Haute. A long time ago I would hang out there with friends at the university. Originally from Evansville I can relate to the cold cloudy weather there. It's nice to see a fellow Hoosier enjoying this incredible hobby. Clear skies and by the way nice image.

• Astrovetteman likes this

#4 FiveByEagle

FiveByEagle

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 21 January 2021 - 07:01 PM

Hello Astrovetteman! Beautiful process here.

I am from Fort Wayne - these skies are awful this time of year aren't they?!

#5 ryanha

ryanha

Viking 1

Posted 21 January 2021 - 09:29 PM

Tom, this is gorgeous!

Thanks for posting, please keep them coming!

That is great that you have a remote setup.  I keep thinking that it would be cool to have a remote obs, but I also wonder if it would take something away from the experience for me.  When you have clear skies do you find yourself setting up at home or do you still use the remote setup then (I imaging the remote data is stunning)?

--Ryan

Edited by ryanha, 21 January 2021 - 09:31 PM.

#6 Astrovetteman

Astrovetteman

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 January 2021 - 10:29 PM

Hello Astrovetteman! Beautiful process here.

I am from Fort Wayne - these skies are awful this time of year aren't they?!

YES THEY ARE!!!  However, it's actually clear tonight so I've got the scopes out....first time in 4 weeks!

Thanks and More CS!!

Tom

#7 Astrovetteman

Astrovetteman

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 January 2021 - 10:41 PM

Tom, this is gorgeous!

Thanks for posting, please keep them coming!

That is great that you have a remote setup.  I keep thinking that it would be cool to have a remote obs, but I also wonder if it would take something away from the experience for me.  When you have clear skies do you find yourself setting up at home or do you still use the remote setup then (I imaging the remote data is stunning)?

--Ryan

Hey Ryan, thanks for the nice comments!  I'm part of a team that subscribes to the telescope.  We put in target suggestions and then the folks at Deep Sky West schedule imaging runs for the selected targets.  They are wonderful folks to deal with and the data is SUPERB!  I know what you mean about it taking away from the excitement of acquiring the data hands on.....but I'll NEVER get my scopes, cameras, and mount into the Southern Hemisphere....let alone the Atacama Desert, and I'll never have a chance to process and enjoy the deep sky wonders down there.  When it's clear, here in Indiana, I've got my scopes out and am taking images.....this just gives me a little added astrophotography "bonus"!!   I know, the first time I posted an image acquired remotely, I felt like I was "cheating".....but I soon got over it.

Thanks Again!

Tom

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics