•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Oiii and Sii Emitters

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bigeastro

bigeastro

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Southwest Florida

Posted 21 January 2021 - 12:57 PM

Hello everyone,

I am looking for a list of targets that are heavy Oiii and Sii emitters.  I know about Goofy's list, but wanted to see if there are any more available.  I want to actually select a couple of targets for full the bright part of the lunar cycle that would have all three NB wavelengths.

Thanks in advance for any reply.

#2 gatsbyiv

gatsbyiv

Apollo

• Loc: Doylestown, PA

Posted 21 January 2021 - 01:33 PM

It mostly has to do with the type of object.  

Most supernova remnants are strong OIII emitters: Cygnus Veils, Jellyfish (IC443), and Thor's Helmet are good northern examples.  Some planetary nebulae are also brighter in OIII:  try the Dumbell and Helix. 

Among HII regions (90+% of the emission nebulae we image), OIII and SII are far fainter than H-alpha.  By sheer virtue of their total brightness, M42, North America Nebula, Lagoon Nebula, and Swan Nebula are bright in both SII and OIII, though H-alpha is even brighter.  OIII and SII are relatively bright in The Rosette and Soul Nebulae as well, though again, still a lot dimmer than H-alpha.

#3 bigeastro

bigeastro

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Southwest Florida

Posted 21 January 2021 - 01:38 PM

Thanks,

Thor's Helmet may win starting tonight.  My southern sky is dark without the moon.  So it is a good area for me to image anyways.   That is perfect.  The object is always a hoot to image.

Thanks   

#4 Eric Seavey

Eric Seavey

Viking 1

• Loc: Irvine, California

Posted 23 January 2021 - 11:24 AM

Hello everyone,

I am looking for a list of targets that are heavy Oiii and Sii emitters.  I know about Goofy's list, but wanted to see if there are any more available.  I want to actually select a couple of targets for full the bright part of the lunar cycle that would have all three NB wavelengths.

Thanks in advance for any reply.

What is Goofy's list?

#5 ryanha

ryanha

Viking 1

Posted 23 January 2021 - 12:47 PM

What is Goofy's list?

https://www.cloudyni...owband-targets/

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics