•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Would a sky guider pro and a z61 be a good setup for DSO

astrophotography beginner
  • Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Mordred182

Mordred182

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 January 2021 - 09:53 PM

Im thinking of getting a Sky Guider Pro and a Zenithstar Z61. I was wondering if they would be a good pair.

#2 Astrophotonics

Astrophotonics

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Eastern Long Island, New York.

Posted 21 January 2021 - 10:00 PM

Yes, they match up great, use this set up more than anything else right now.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20200814_142628_resized (1).jpg

Edited by Astrophotonics, 21 January 2021 - 10:01 PM.

• limeyx likes this

#3 moxican

moxican

Viking 1

• Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 21 January 2021 - 10:06 PM

Yes it will work. I do have that set up as well as a matter of fact. You will need its dedicated field flattener though, and have to be pretty precise about your polar alignment. Furthermore, you will need to guide. With all that it will work.

#4 mphotog

mphotog

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 23 January 2021 - 08:26 PM

D2C2878F-8D03-4B65-B63B-1A18FE790638.jpeg

This is my rig it works very well. This is a Z61 on the sky guider pro

Edited by mphotog, 23 January 2021 - 08:33 PM.

• limeyx likes this

#5 Hesiod

Hesiod

Aurora

Posted 24 January 2021 - 08:06 AM

These setups works pretty well (I use a similar small refractor with the Polarie) but if plan to guide I suggest to evaluate a compact "full rigged" mount too

#6 mphotog

mphotog

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 25 January 2021 - 03:29 PM

You can guide with these set ups and have great success. I am using ASIAIR and able to get great guiding and three minute subs. I am very happy with my rig. The only negative thing is you do not have go-to capabilities.

#7 Hesiod

Hesiod

Aurora

Posted 25 January 2021 - 04:46 PM

Well, guiding to get 3' subs at 300mm is not exactly a big deal, at such focals you could still hope to go unguided.

On the other hand a larger mount which could handle something like a 4" or a compact Cassegrain-based astrograph could be a better mid-term purchase (and at such focals goto start to enter in its own ground)

#8 limeyx

limeyx

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 25 January 2021 - 09:42 PM

It works but if you want to do DSOs then I would recommend going with a better mount (I am looking to upgrade, myself)

https://www.astrobin.com/users/limeyx/

M81/M82 in that link are the AT60ED. The rest are a 300MM prime DSLR lens

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_4562-small.jpg

#9 chanrobi

chanrobi

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 25 January 2021 - 10:06 PM

Im thinking of getting a Sky Guider Pro and a Zenithstar Z61. I was wondering if they would be a good pair.

Not enough focal length for true DSO work, would skip that scope and that mount

#10 Cfreerksen

Cfreerksen

Apollo

• Loc: Tooele, Ut

Posted 25 January 2021 - 10:28 PM

Not enough focal length for true DSO work, would skip that scope and that mount

True DSO work?....pfffft. Nope none of these are true DSO's 

https://www.astrobin..._max=2021-01-26

Chris

• MeenSeen and mjh410 like this

#11 limeyx

limeyx

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 26 January 2021 - 12:14 AM

True DSO work?....pfffft. Nope none of these are true DSO's 

https://www.astrobin..._max=2021-01-26

Chris

Those are great shots. Nebula work well with this focal length. Galaxies (except M31) are trickier

• Seaquel47 likes this

#12 mphotog

mphotog

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 26 January 2021 - 05:06 PM

The thing that’s really cool about these setups is they are extremely portable. Also if you’re new to this hobby it’s a great entry way to get your feet wet without spending a whole lot of extra money on something that you may and may not like. Also you’re not having to lug around a 60 pound mount and tripod system and another 20 pounds of telescope and image train. Also the learning curve on these is a lot shorter than starting out with a larger focal length scope. Good luck!

#13 Seaquel47

Seaquel47

Vostok 1

• Loc: Punta Gorda, Florida

Posted 26 January 2021 - 05:56 PM

This was my starter rig into astrophotography.  It's not terribly expensive and very portable.  I was able to put it all in a photo backpack and carried it on a plane for a trip out west for a workshop with Peter Zelinka (www.peterzelinka.com).  Peter's website and youtube posts will show you a lot about this kind of setup.  That size scope works well with many beautiful nebulas and M31 is so big that it requires a smaller scope.  The lack of goto, while it can be frustrating, it also forces you to learn the sky and to hone your skills in setting up.  As was mentioned, you definitely want to get the flattener for this scope.  I recently picked up a used CEM40 and it makes everything easier.  More money generally makes things easier and better but for portability and cost, this is a good starting point.

Attached Thumbnails

• SkyGuider w Z61.jpg

#14 joeytroy

joeytroy

Messenger

• Loc: Belen, NM, USA

Posted 26 January 2021 - 09:57 PM

Mordred,

It's depends on what you want to do. I started with a similar setup which was the RedCat51 and SkyGuider Pro w/ ipolar, WO Viken Bar and WO counter weight. Problem is my tripod was crap for AP even though it costed me $120 frown.gif so after looking into getting a decent tripod to handle the weight of the SPG I would have been into the mount for $991.79 that didn't include the RedCat or my Nikon D5500. Based on that I sent it all back and purchased the Sky-Watcher EQM-35 which was $725 and with the leftover money I invested in the ASI Air Pro Kit so I could polar align, plate solve, guide for longer exposures, and drive the mount to any object in the sky for an additional $547 and no need for a laptop or other software except for the install of the ASI Air application on my Tablet. At the end of the day it's your call and it depends on what you are doing. It's not a bad setup with the SGP but it is also limited in terms of what you can do with the mount depending on how you grow in AP. There is a million different parts you can buy and different ways to capture your images.

The goal IMHO and something I learned early on is to find equipment you are going to want to use and get out and enjoy AP, because seriously it's not cheap no matter what you do. The last thing you want to do is end up with something that is going to cause more frustration than not. After all my upgrades (listed in my signature) I take out my mount, sort of align it with Polaris when setting it up and then I run through the ASI Polar alignment (5 minutes) and come back inside an pour a whiskey or a scotch and run my EAF for Electronic Auto Focus and shoot away. When I first started it used to take forever to focus on an object with the Bahtinov mask. I like lazy AP and like to also be in doors in the winter months so all my little tweaks have allowed me to enjoy AP the way I want to.

Here is a video of my setup and walk through of my rig (recently replaced the Nikon with an ASI533 astro camera). This is just one way of doing AP everyone else on the forums have their ways, the goal is to figure out what is going to work for you.

https://www.youtube....EOTQwggW_xf052m

• limeyx likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography, beginner

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics