•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

New to imaging first try

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Bazooka302

Bazooka302

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 21 January 2021 - 10:17 PM

Here's my first modest attempt at a moon image processed from a video avi. After watching some youtube videos, I processed a short avi captured with iCap2.4, stacked with AutoStakkert 3.1.4, then did a bit of wavelet with RegiStax 6. I'm amazed at how far the technology has come. iOptron 150 Mak, iOptron Mini-Tower alt-az, Neximage5. Full image https://www.astrobin.../full/ku74ps/0/ moon0005 19-19-40_lapl5_ap52 b.jpg  

Edited by Bazooka302, 21 January 2021 - 10:22 PM.

• Wouter D'hoye, Kenny V., JumboFlex and 5 others like this

#2 Wouter D'hoye

Wouter D'hoye

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Belgium

Posted 22 January 2021 - 02:02 AM

Not bad at all for a first image. I know mine many years ago were not nearly as good. 

I hope you don’t mind I give some advise to get better results:

first of all the image is too green, a color adjustment to give it a more natural color, or conversion to greyscale would be more pleasing to the eye.

I notice a few clipped highlights. Sometimes hard to avoid. for sure try to avoid them during capture. Does iCap have a live histogram? If so pay attention to it and make sure the brightest parts do not get above 80% or so. That also gives you some headroom during processing. 

I notice there is still a fair amount of noise in the final image. How many frames did you capture? And how many of those were in the final stack? The more frames (provided they are of sufficiently high quality) in the final stack the more noise will be reduced. 

It for sure looks like your data is pretty good. With working a little bit on the processing skills I honestly think even more can be pulled out. 

thanks for sharing

Wouter. 

• John_Moore and Bazooka302 like this

#3 67champ

67champ

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Ohio, USA

Posted 22 January 2021 - 11:39 AM

Late stages of the Lunar X.  Awesome first attempt.

dana t

• Bazooka302 likes this

#4 Bazooka302

Bazooka302

Lift Off

• topic starter

Posted 22 January 2021 - 05:44 PM

Thanks. The first image was only 10% of the best frames out of a total of 213 frames. The video was short because I was using an alt-az mount and didn't want to get too much rotation. I redid the wavelets with a 50% stack and tried some adjustments in Lightroom. Still don't have any clue what to do with the wavelets, lol. And I tried to reduce some green but I'm moderately colorblind red/green so I don't really see the green.

moon0005 19-19-40_lapl5_ap52 b-1sm.jpg

• Kenny V. likes this

#5 Tom Glenn

Tom Glenn

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 22 January 2021 - 05:51 PM

This is definitely a nice first image!  Don't worry about balancing colors, especially if you aren't sensitive to green......just convert the entire image to grayscale and then there will not be any color casts at all, and it will look great.  Field rotation can be an issue, but 213 frames is not very many at all.  What is the frame rate of your camera?  If it is very slow, that may indeed be a limiting factor here in terms of how long you can record without field rotation.    

• 67champ and Bazooka302 like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics