•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Can I get some help on my Running Man?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Ballyhoo

Ballyhoo

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter
  • Loc: San Diego

Posted 21 January 2021 - 10:51 PM

I think I should be able to get more detail and dark nebula in my image after 5 hours of integration. Or have I come close to maxing out my proc?

I know it might be asking a lot for others to give it a try but here is the link to the LRGB masters:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!...KAIqrQ?e=davktf

Here is the AB version:

https://www.astrobin...oxhph3/?nc=user

#2 Rasfahan

Rasfahan

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Hessen, Germany

Posted 22 January 2021 - 10:38 AM

I don‘t know your sky brightness, but I think that is about the extent I would expect to see after 5h at a bit below f/5. with an 80mm lens if you are not in a really dark spot. The darker parts of the nebula start to get noisy, so I think this is, basically, what gets above the noise. You can try some noise reduction for a more aggressive stretch, but I think this will not improve the image. You can try some masked local histogram equalisation, but I think that will only get you some added sharpness for the brighter parts, not more dark nebula.

I will try myself later on your data, though.

#3 Rasfahan

Rasfahan

Messenger

• -----

Posted 22 January 2021 - 02:11 PM

new.jpg

So, there is a lot more nebula detail there, I was mistaken. I just did LRGB-combination, Photometric Color Calibration, HDRMultiscaleTransform (5 layers) and ArcSinHStretch, and a bit of a sinusoidal curve to L. It took me only a few minutes. Unfortunatly the core is blown out and the stars are blown out in red - you should try a bit shorter subs. This image is very much reduced, but it still looks good at full scale, no excessive noise in the shadows. I have not tried to fix the stars, probably works with a blurred star mask and Morphological Selection on the R image only. I cannot do Photoshop, only Pixinsight.

Edited by Rasfahan, 22 January 2021 - 02:13 PM.

• Ballyhoo likes this

#4 Ballyhoo

Ballyhoo

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter
  • Loc: San Diego

Posted 22 January 2021 - 04:06 PM

wow, I have still quite a bit more proc to learn. Also I have been imaging at 180 seconds in bortle 4.5.  So, I suppose I will draw it back to 2 min. 

#5 Rasfahan

Rasfahan

Messenger

• -----

Posted 22 January 2021 - 05:32 PM

This was a real quick processing, there is a lot more data there. The quintessence was to use HDRMultiscaleTransform and ArcSinhStretch, those tools are very useful for bright, colourful targets with dim nebulosity.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics