•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Sky Safari 6 on kindle

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 emptynest

emptynest

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Delaware

Posted 21 January 2021 - 11:03 PM

I am rediscovering astronomy again after a couple of years. I go to fire up my trusty Kindle with Sky Safari 5 on it and.......nothing. The Kindle is fried. No problem. I just bought another one and loaded my apps back on it except Sky Safari was AWOL. Ok I'll just fork out some dough and upload it again.....except now it is only available on iPad? Seriously? I'd like to not bring a laptop with me on my excursions and I'm not buying an iPad.
Any comparable suggestions?

#2 c2m2t

c2m2t

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Pembroke, Ont.

Posted 21 January 2021 - 11:21 PM

Hi Emptynest!

I do have a copy of SS on my fire7 from Amazon. It s an Android device...not sure what drives your Kindle. 

Cheers, Chris.

#3 kopite

kopite

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: California

Posted 21 January 2021 - 11:26 PM

I am rediscovering astronomy again after a couple of years. I go to fire up my trusty Kindle with Sky Safari 5 on it and.......nothing. The Kindle is fried. No problem. I just bought another one and loaded my apps back on it except Sky Safari was AWOL. Ok I'll just fork out some dough and upload it again.....except now it is only available on iPad? Seriously? I'd like to not bring a laptop with me on my excursions and I'm not buying an iPad.
Any comparable suggestions?

According to the Sky Safari website it will run on a Kindle. 

“How about the Kindle Fire?”

“SkySafari will run on the Kindle Fire if you have modified it to use the Google Play store.”

• Jon Isaacs, Rickycardo and BFaucett like this

#4 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama & Gold Star Award Winner

• Moderators
  • Loc: montana

Posted 21 January 2021 - 11:34 PM

Moving to Astronomy Software & Computers for better fit of topic.

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#5 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 22 January 2021 - 05:52 AM

The Fire does not run standard Android and does not normally have access to the Playstore.  For a while, SkySafari was supported on the Fire but they decided it was just too much hassle.  

It does run adequately well on the inexpensive Andriod tablets.  I have a 7 inch ONN, the Walmart brand, that I purchased a couple of years ago on Black Friday for $25 that runs Sky Safari 6 Pro reasonably well.  I think it's about $50 but has 2GB ram now.  I also have an 8 inch ONN Pro, it's around $100 and runs Skysafari 6 Pro very nicely.

Jon

• emptynest likes this

#6 c2m2t

c2m2t

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Pembroke, Ont.

Posted 22 January 2021 - 08:52 AM

Hi Jon!

I installed Sky Safari Pro 6 on my Fire tablet about 18 months ago. Wow...that market changes quickly.

Cheers, Chris.

#7 kjkrum

kjkrum

Mariner 2

• Loc: Tucson, Arizona, USA

Posted 22 January 2021 - 10:06 AM

I hacked my Kindle Fire to install the Play Store and some decent apps. It wasn't difficult to follow the instructions I found online. But you can't replace the launcher, and Amazon spams ads when you unlock it. We replaced my mother-in-law's Kindle with an ONN tablet for Christmas this year, and she's very happy with it. I would never recommend a Kindle to anyone, for any purpose.
  • Jon Isaacs and Rickycardo like this

#8 StarryNightGuy

StarryNightGuy

Vendor - Simulation Curriculum Corp.

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Beaconsfield, Quebec

Posted 22 January 2021 - 10:38 AM

To be clear, SkySafari is available for "any" (most) Android devices throug the Google Play store.

It's also available for iOS and MacOS (and, in fact, through a web browser at www.LiveSky.com).

So... not just iPads!

• Jon Isaacs likes this

#9 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 22 January 2021 - 10:44 PM

I hacked my Kindle Fire to install the Play Store and some decent apps. It wasn't difficult to follow the instructions I found online. But you can't replace the launcher, and Amazon spams ads when you unlock it. We replaced my mother-in-law's Kindle with an ONN tablet for Christmas this year, and she's very happy with it. I would never recommend a Kindle to anyone, for any purpose.

Which ONN did you get?

My wife has the original 10.1 inch, I have the original 7 inch and the 8 inch Pro.  The 8 inch Pro runs SkySafari 6 Pro with the additional catalogs of galaxies and stars very nicely.

Unfortunately,  I dropped it and broke the screen. But it still works just fine.  I've been through several Nexus 7 (2013) and they're very good but when the screen breaks, the digitizer doesn't work. Now I'm thinking of switching to the ONN because when I break screen, it'll still work.

Jon

#10 kjkrum

kjkrum

Mariner 2

• Loc: Tucson, Arizona, USA

Posted 25 January 2021 - 01:01 AM

My wife picked it out from Walmart so I don't have a record of the exact model. Based on the price, I think it was one of the 8" models.

#11 jessebear

jessebear

Mariner 2

• Loc: Grand Junction, CO

Posted 25 January 2021 - 01:17 AM

I've been meaning to load SS on my wife's old Kindle so I don't have to use my phone for it anymore. I figured the app wouldn't be in Amazon's market, but any Android app should install fine on a Kindle via sideloading. It's not 'hacking' and doesn't require violating any warranty, just changing a few settings. I'll report back when I've had a chance to try it.

#12 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

Posted 25 January 2021 - 06:26 AM

I've been meaning to load SS on my wife's old Kindle so I don't have to use my phone for it anymore. I figured the app wouldn't be in Amazon's market, but any Android app should install fine on a Kindle via sideloading. It's not 'hacking' and doesn't require violating any warranty, just changing a few settings. I'll report back when I've had a chance to try it.

I don't know anything about side loading but I believe at least some versions of SkySafari check to see the app is properly registered so it's possible there is an issue.

Jon

#13 emptynest

emptynest

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Delaware

Posted 13 February 2021 - 03:22 PM

Thanks for the tips! The instructions are easy enough and I've got SkySafari 6 pro running on my kindle.
Cheers!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics