•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Rooftop observatory challenges

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#26 nof

nof

Mariner 2

• Loc: Israel

Posted 10 August 2021 - 01:13 AM

For whatever it’s worth, I built my observatory on a porch adjacent to the north side of the house. The porch is on the second level. Views to the south are over the roof (flat, with white insulation material coating the roof). The pier was designed to give a view15 degrees over the southern horizon. Sometimes viewing in that direction is excellent, even low. Later is better than earlier, but that is true in every direction as air/seeing stabilizes. The pier is one story high. The southern horizon is darkest , perhaps in part because the house blocks light from that direction.

#27 nof

nof

Mariner 2

• Loc: Israel

Posted 10 August 2021 - 01:13 AM

For whatever it’s worth, I built my observatory on a porch adjacent to the north side of the house. The porch is on the second level. Views to the south are over the roof (flat, with white insulation material coating the roof). The pier was designed to give a view15 degrees over the southern horizon. Sometimes viewing in that direction is excellent, even low. Later is better than earlier, but that is true in every direction as air/seeing stabilizes. The pier is one story high. The southern horizon is darkest , perhaps in part because the house blocks light from that direction.

#28 Umasscrew39

Umasscrew39

Apollo

• Loc: Central Florida

Posted 12 August 2021 - 11:33 AM

Here is one of ours on a home in florida. This was on a garage.

This is from my home observatory which is above my 4-car garage.  The cement pier is over 4 ft underground and runs up through the garage, which is 10 ft in height, and another 5 ft above the observatory floor.  Then the PierTech adjustable steel pier is on top of the cement pier, on which an AP1100 mount was placed.  So, my scope goes over 20 ft above street level.  The observatory is insulated and has a split AC unit and dehumidifier to regulate the climate.   This way, I am above the trees, streetlights, etc., and my big SCT takes very little time to equilibrate to the climate when the roof is opened.  In addition, you get the safety aspect as we have bears and poisonous snakes, not to mention mega-mosquitoes.  Add a few red lights, lots of outlets, a couple of recliner chairs, and a wall monitor, and you are ready to go. 

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1024.jpg
  • IMG_1025.jpg
  • IMG_1026.jpg
  • IMG_1027.jpg
  • IMG_1028.jpg

• *skyguy*, R Botero, vrotondi and 3 others like this

#29 vrotondi

vrotondi

Vendor -Pier-Tech Observatories

• ***--
  • Vendors

Posted 25 August 2021 - 02:15 PM

That's beautiful, of course I can be a little biased:))

Vito

Pier-Tech Inc.

This is from my home observatory which is above my 4-car garage.  The cement pier is over 4 ft underground and runs up through the garage, which is 10 ft in height, and another 5 ft above the observatory floor.  Then the PierTech adjustable steel pier is on top of the cement pier, on which an AP1100 mount was placed.  So, my scope goes over 20 ft above street level.  The observatory is insulated and has a split AC unit and dehumidifier to regulate the climate.   This way, I am above the trees, streetlights, etc., and my big SCT takes very little time to equilibrate to the climate when the roof is opened.  In addition, you get the safety aspect as we have bears and poisonous snakes, not to mention mega-mosquitoes.  Add a few red lights, lots of outlets, a couple of recliner chairs, and a wall monitor, and you are ready to go. 

• Umasscrew39 and eyeoftexas like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics