•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Celestron Nexstar 8se mount problems

beginner Celestron mount equipment SCT cassegrain
  • Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 wngaylord

wngaylord

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 22 January 2021 - 09:36 PM

Hello I recently purchased a Nexstar 8se and I believe I have damaged my mount. I was in a hurry setting it up tonight before the clouds rolled in and in my haste I didn’t move the telescope far enough forward and while touring the sky the focuser knob crashed into the base of the mount. Since then I have not been able to use two star auto align. The mount will completely pass the star I select and then will slow to a crawling pace and will not stop on its own. Manual control for the telescope works fine. Is there a simple fix for this or will I have to send it in to get repaired?

#2 Bean614

Bean614

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Mass.

Posted 22 January 2021 - 10:01 PM

Just shut down the mount, re-start it after about a minute, and do another Alignment from scratch (time, date, location,  etc.).

When the scope hit the base it shifted in the Alt axis in a 'manual ' fashion.  That is, just the same as if, without using g the controller,  you just grabbed it and moved it up or down. So, don't ever move it without using the controller,  and make sure you have clearance.   Also, you can access Slew Limits through the controller,  which will solve the issue if you can't get the OTA moved forward enough.

• Dave_L and wngaylord like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: beginner, Celestron, mount, equipment, SCT, cassegrain

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics