•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Celestron NexImage 93709

beginner Celestron imaging
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 aescarbi

aescarbi

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 January 2021 - 09:56 AM

Hello everybody,

I have a Celestron NexImage 93709 camera, woriking with ICap 2.4. Even if my laptop detects the device, I cannot get a clear picture. It only shows a lighter or darker grey rectangle, depending on the amount of light which the camera captures. Not on the telescope nor as a normal camera I can get something remotely close to a picture. Am I doing something wrong? Should I suspect mulfunctioning of the camera?

I am most grateful for any advice.

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture NexImage.GIF

#2 Dynan

Dynan

Fly Me to the Moon

• Vendors
  • Loc: NOLA

Posted 23 January 2021 - 10:02 AM

Probably way out of focus.

• PatrickVt and aescarbi like this

#3 michael8554

michael8554

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Wiltshire UK

Posted 23 January 2021 - 10:28 AM

"Not on the telescope nor as a normal camera I can get something remotely close to a picture"

Which telescope ?

The camera must have a lens attached to show a recognisable image.

A telescope acts as a lens, but what lens were you using when "a normal camera" ?

So try it on a distant object on auto Exposure if iCap has that, during the day.

As Dynan says, probably out of focus, but without knowing your telescope I can't tell if good focus is possible or not.

Edited by michael8554, 23 January 2021 - 10:29 AM.

• aescarbi likes this

#4 aescarbi

aescarbi

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 January 2021 - 08:26 AM

Thank you, michael8554. The telescope is a Celestron NexStar Evolution 8. With the Moon in focus, the camera only shows a light grey image, not very different of the picture I posted. The reference to it "as a normal camera" is because (I am new in this) I expected it to work as a normal webcam would, too. The camera has no physical focus control, and iCap auto exposure does not fix the problem. I cannot get a better picture even manually scrolling through the whole exposure range.

#5 Dynan

Dynan

Fly Me to the Moon

• Vendors

Posted 24 January 2021 - 09:01 AM

"With the Moon in focus..." The focus point of the camera may be a VERY different distance than that of an eyepiece.

And to be used as a webcam DOES require a lens be used in front of this camera. I have the same camera and found this to be true. (See lack of camera lens)

NexImage 93709.jpg

I suggest you rack your focuser all the way in with the camera taking short (≈ 0.05 seconds in daylight or ≈ 5.0 seconds at night) images. Then rack the focus out (out-focus) slowly until you have made full travel of the focus tube. If there is no focus in this range of motion, loosen the camera from its mounting and manually (and carefully keeping it in the line of sight of the scope) move the camera farther out from the focuser tube. You should at some point see something close to a clear image.

If this works, it indicates that your focuser's travel isn't long enough to reach focus and you'll need an extender(s).

If you need to go closer (in-focus movement isn't enough), there isn't much option to use that camera.

• PatrickVt and aescarbi like this

#6 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

World Controller

• Moderators
  • Loc: Georgia

Posted 24 January 2021 - 12:21 PM

As a further comment on the focus for a camera vs an eyepiece - Just remember for a target at infinity (like the moon) the sensor of the camera needs to be at the scope's focal plane, whereas with, say a 25mm eyepiece, you will have 25mm from the scope's focal plane to the lens in the eyepiece. 

• Dynan and aescarbi like this

#7 aescarbi

aescarbi

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 January 2021 - 08:53 PM

Dear all,

Thank you SO MUCH!

It was indeed a matter of focus (and ignorance, of course). I have a long way to learn to get good pictures, but today I was at least able to take my first ones!

Thanks again and all best to you!

Attached Thumbnails

• Moon 3.jpg

• Dynan likes this

#8 Dynan

Dynan

Fly Me to the Moon

• Vendors

Posted 24 January 2021 - 08:58 PM

Thanks for the Follow Up! We appreciate those. Now...a little bit better focus (and good seeing) and you'll be Top Notch!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: beginner, Celestron, imaging

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics