•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

PC for Pixinsight

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 HaleBopper

HaleBopper

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Land of Ice and Snow

Posted 23 January 2021 - 10:39 AM

Hello all,

I'm comfortable with computers from an end user standpoint; but when it gets into technical territory I can run into trouble. I have done some searching on the net but I decided to post a question here as I'm sure the knowledge and experience will be much more informative.

In a nutshell, I have an older computer (more like ancient from 2012) and I'm wondering if I should bother to try the free trial period of Pixinsight to see if it works for me, or wait until I get a beefier computer. I wouldn't want to use the up free trial period to evaluate the software if my pc can't handle it.

For now I'm using a DSLR for deep sky astrophotography; but in the future I plan on getting a ccd or cmos. I included a file with my processor specs.

Thanks

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture.JPG

#2 jdupton

jdupton

Gemini

• Loc: Central Texas, USA

Posted 23 January 2021 - 10:48 AM

HaleBopper,

I would say "go for it". It won't be a screaming machine but the i7-2600 processor was really good in its day. You will have more than enough power to get a feel for how PixInsight operates. You won't like how long it takes to integrate 500 sub-exposures on that system (several hours) but it will allow you to learn PixInsight effectively -- especially most of the post-processing steps after you have a stacked image. Some post-processing steps will be slightly slower than you want if you only have an old hard disk drive ("spinning rust") in the system. With a faster hard drive or an added SSD, the system will be more than acceptable.

John

Edited by jdupton, 23 January 2021 - 10:50 AM.

• Boeglewatcher likes this

#3 HaleBopper

HaleBopper

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Land of Ice and Snow

Posted 23 January 2021 - 11:17 AM

Great thank you. Gives me something to do while I look for a pc upgrade.

#4 mikefulb

mikefulb

Surveyor 1

Posted 23 January 2021 - 11:53 AM

You  might find 12GB a bit small depending on how much you are doing but otherwise it is certainly faster than the machine I started using PI on in 2006.  :)

#5 birddog99

birddog99

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Houston, Texas

Posted 30 January 2021 - 06:08 AM

HaleBopper,

I would say "go for it". It won't be a screaming machine but the i7-2600 processor was really good in its day. You will have more than enough power to get a feel for how PixInsight operates. You won't like how long it takes to integrate 500 sub-exposures on that system (several hours) but it will allow you to learn PixInsight effectively -- especially most of the post-processing steps after you have a stacked image. Some post-processing steps will be slightly slower than you want if you only have an old hard disk drive ("spinning rust") in the system. With a faster hard drive or an added SSD, the system will be more than acceptable.

John

UPS says I've got the ZWO ASI2600Mc Pro hitting the doorstep tomorrow. Been using PI for 3 years. The CFO has authorized 600.00 bucks to find a desktop PC that will keep up with those 51mb subs the 2600 is gonna spit out. Will use Windows10. I can see that using the desktop I have now, I'll be doubling the time needed to process. I'm a buy it on Amazon or Best Buy guy. Not sure I can pull it off at 600.00 bucks though. I too am challenged when it comes to the technical specs and what actually makes one computer faster than another. Here's my current setup. 

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture.PNG

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics