•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Focuscube 2 fine focus mode software setting?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Omeganon

Omeganon

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Joelton, TN

Posted 23 January 2021 - 10:57 AM

Yesterday I did some solar visual observing with my Quark Chromosphere using my Esprit 100 ED that has a Focuscube 2 attached. Not wanting to take it off for manual focusing, I bought the optional hand controller. The controller has 2 modes — normal focus mode and fine focus mode. Mode switching is activated by pressing and releasing the focus knob like a toggle. When I ended that session, I had last used the fine focus mode. I disconnected the hand controller, set up for remote DSO imaging, and powered off everything.

Fast forward to dark, I power everything on, start up NINA and find that my normal focus step count (~23000 steps) is waaaaaaay of. Not even remotely close. Manually guessing at the focus location, I find that it is nearly double what I expect it to be (42000). My previous travel limit was ~35000 steps so this really confounded me. NINA’s auto focus routine also continually failed unless I increased my step size and backlash compensation ~3x from normal. 

After about 1.5 hours of troubleshooting all of this, it occurred to me that the cube was still in fine focus mode. Looking at the focuscube control software from Pegasus, I didn’t see any obvious way to toggle it. I managed to deal with it during the imaging session last night, but does anyone know how to toggle mode that via software?

Edited by Omeganon, 23 January 2021 - 10:59 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics