•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Orion StarBlast 102MM Travel Refractor

equipment Orion refractor
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 CarolinaBanker

CarolinaBanker

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Eastern North Carolina

Posted 23 January 2021 - 12:50 PM

Has anyone used this? I’m looking for a first scope and this is one I’m seriously looking at buying. I’d appreciate anyone’s experience with this scope.

#2 russell23

russell23

Voyager 1

• Loc: Upstate NY

Posted 24 January 2021 - 06:41 AM

What type of objects do you want to observe?  Moon & planets?  Deep Sky? Everything?   Are you looking for a scope for to travel with or use at home?  

#3 bobhen

bobhen

Aurora

Posted 24 January 2021 - 07:25 AM

If you are looking at a first telescope "and a refractor", please consider spending a little more and have a look at the Celestron OMNI-XLT-102 102mm/1000mm refractor ( around $479 from B&H and other retailers) 

The Celestron Omni is a much better general purpose (deep sky and moon and planets) telescope and is built much better and has a MUCH better mount. 

I would not recommend the Orion with its low build quality tube and mount. The optics are fine but a telescope is more than just the optics.

If you "must have" a short, fast refractor "please understand their limitations" and then consider the Sky-Watcher StarTravel 102mm f/5 AZ Refractor ($305) from B&H. It has a fine lens and the tube is much better built and although the mount has limitations it is much sturdier than the Orion.

Bob

Edited by bobhen, 24 January 2021 - 07:38 AM.

• russell23, erin and PatrickVt like this

#4 CarolinaBanker

CarolinaBanker

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 January 2021 - 09:34 PM

If you are looking at a first telescope "and a refractor", please consider spending a little more and have a look at the Celestron OMNI-XLT-102 102mm/1000mm refractor ( around $479 from B&H and other retailers) 

The Celestron Omni is a much better general purpose (deep sky and moon and planets) telescope and is built much better and has a MUCH better mount. 

I would not recommend the Orion with its low build quality tube and mount. The optics are fine but a telescope is more than just the optics.

If you "must have" a short, fast refractor "please understand their limitations" and then consider the Sky-Watcher StarTravel 102mm f/5 AZ Refractor ($305) from B&H. It has a fine lens and the tube is much better built and although the mount has limitations it is much sturdier than the Orion.

Bob

I actually wound up buying the Celestron 102 AZ with StarSense as it just made sense to have the optionality of a push to.

#5 CarolinaBanker

CarolinaBanker

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 January 2021 - 09:49 PM

What type of objects do you want to observe?  Moon & planets?  Deep Sky? Everything?   Are you looking for a scope for to travel with or use at home?  

I’m looking for something that can do it all, bright DSOs, some planetary and lunar observing. The other big thing is that it will be shared with my wife who is less interested in star hopping.

#6 The Ardent

The Ardent

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: Virginia

Posted 15 February 2021 - 05:41 PM

For years I attended the twice yearly star party held on the west shore of Currituck sound. As a newbie, I had the chance to observe thru many different telescopes.

Not to mention years of attending the Mid Atlantic party in Moore County NC.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: equipment, Orion, refractor

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics