•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Celestron Nextstar+ Hand Controller

Celestron
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 WHurley

WHurley
  • -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Raynham, MA

Posted 23 January 2021 - 01:45 PM

Hi All:

I have a Celestron 1100Edge HD SCT. It has a NextStar+ Hand Controller and a Celestron Focuser Motor. All of a sudden, I'm getting the following messages:

No Response 17

No Response 16

No Response 18

The Hand Controller says it is for an Advanced GT Mount. I have a CGX-L Mount.

When I connect the mount to my laptop via the CPWI software, CPWI will recognize the mount via a USB Cable, but will not recognize the mount via the Hand Controller and the Celestron SkyPortal WiFi Adapter. CPWI will also not recognize the focuser motor.

In addition, when I tried to move the mount to the Home Position in CPWI, it slewed as far away from Home Position as the the mount motor would allow; i.e., RA and Dec slew limits. 

Anyone have any ideas about what happened and how I can fix them?

Thanks,

Bill Hurley   

Edited by WHurley, 23 January 2021 - 01:48 PM.

#2 Jim Davis

Jim Davis

Aurora

• Loc: Lewisberry, PA

Posted 23 January 2021 - 02:23 PM

The no response errors means the handset cannot talk to the motor controllers. It gives you "Advanced GT" since it can't connect, and doesn't know what mount it is connected to. It defaults to the first one alphabetically.

Most likely you damaged the hand controller cord or the handbox port. The break could be inside the hand controller, too.

Edited by Jim Davis, 23 January 2021 - 02:26 PM.

#3 WHurley

WHurley
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 January 2021 - 02:36 PM

Thanks, Jim. 

Am I correct in assuming that this will require a factory repair of the mount and either a repair or replacement of the Hand Controller?

#4 Jim Davis

Jim Davis

Aurora

Posted 23 January 2021 - 02:41 PM

Thanks, Jim. 

Am I correct in assuming that this will require a factory repair of the mount and either a repair or replacement of the Hand Controller?

I fixed mine once by cutting off the rj45 connector on the end of the cord and clamping another one on. That is the most common source of the problem. You could also have pulled the wires off the board inside by putting to much tension on the cord. Bent pins inside the port on the mount is another common problem. Your mount has 2 Aux ports, right? Try the other one. That would eliminate the mount as the problem.

Another possibility, not a good one, is a power surge fried something inside the mount or handset, but the cable is more often the issue.

Edited by Jim Davis, 23 January 2021 - 02:44 PM.

#5 Jim Davis

Jim Davis

Aurora

Posted 23 January 2021 - 02:49 PM

Here is an explanation on nexstarsite.com: https://www.nexstars.../NoResponse.htm

#6 WHurley

WHurley
  • -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 January 2021 - 03:03 PM

I actually have four AUX ports.

So here's something really weird that just happened. I just plugged the hand controller into the port in which it usually resides, turned on the mount and it booted-up fine. It referenced the CGX-L Mount and I was able to get it to return to the home position through the hand controller. I then checked the focuser motor. It would not work and I got a No Response 18 message. 

I then booted the hand controller in all four AUX ports and it is back to the No Response 17 and 16 and Advanced GT from each of the AUX ports. This is really frustrating because it is supposed to be a beautifully clear night all night in Southeastern Massachusetts.    

#7 Jim Davis

Jim Davis

Aurora

Posted 23 January 2021 - 04:06 PM

I actually have four AUX ports.

So here's something really weird that just happened. I just plugged the hand controller into the port in which it usually resides, turned on the mount and it booted-up fine. It referenced the CGX-L Mount and I was able to get it to return to the home position through the hand controller. I then checked the focuser motor. It would not work and I got a No Response 18 message. 

I then booted the hand controller in all four AUX ports and it is back to the No Response 17 and 16 and Advanced GT from each of the AUX ports. This is really frustrating because it is supposed to be a beautifully clear night all night in Southeastern Massachusetts.    

Sounds like there is a break in the wire, that the one time it made contact. I do wish Celestron would make the cord replaceable on the hand controller.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Celestron

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics