•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Lazy Susan's For ATM Use?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Tom Duncan

Tom Duncan

Surveyor 1

• Vendors
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Chico, CA

Posted 23 January 2021 - 04:06 PM

Got several of these metal 'lazy susans' in an astronomy estate buy, 9" and 12" diameters, wondering if they have any application to ATM'ing? I can't imagine how as the ball bearings make for little resistance but what do I know...

Made in the USA by 'Triangle' in Oshkosh, WI.  

Any thoughts? 

Tom Duncan 

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_3915A.jpg
  • DSC_3916A.jpg

#2 epee

epee

Skylab

• Loc: Suh-van-nuh, Jaw-juh

Posted 23 January 2021 - 04:19 PM

I used a 12" like you picture, as the azimuth bearing on my XT12i for a long time. It was the perfect thickness to allow the encoder to work.
It has so little rolling resistance that you need to add adhesive felt table leg pads to stiffen things up.

#3 junomike

junomike

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 23 January 2021 - 04:47 PM

I replaced my teflon bearings on a 12" Dob with these.  Relatively cheap also.

#4 Tom Duncan

Tom Duncan

Surveyor 1

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 23 January 2021 - 06:51 PM

Hmm, so they do have some ATM application then, thanks.

Tom 

#5 Steve Dodds

Steve Dodds

Owner - Nova Optical

• Vendors
  • Loc: Utah

Posted 23 January 2021 - 07:32 PM

They spin too freely you will need some sort of brake to slow them down.  Plus they are not near as smooth as Teflon.

#6 Bob4BVM

Bob4BVM

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: W. Oregon

Posted 24 January 2021 - 12:29 AM

Yes Tom !

The 12 incher carries my butt around the universe on any night when i don't feel up to standing by a telescope !

https://www.cloudyni...new-bino-chair/

CS

Bob

#7 sunrag

sunrag

Viking 1

• Loc: Carmel, Indiana

Posted 24 January 2021 - 09:56 AM

I used this in its 12" version as the AZ  bearing for my 8" Dob. Worked quite well.

#8 macdonjh

macdonjh

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 24 January 2021 - 11:42 AM

As with the others who tried it: I found the lazy Susan bearing to have not enough friction by itself.  I was dissatisfied with the sticktion of the stock base of an XT-6i I used to have, so I installed a lazy Susan bearing.  That completely cured my sticktion problem, but the scope wouldn't stay put when I got my target centered. 

I installed a screw through the base of the rocker box.  The screw had a nut with a fender washer welded to it and I stuck some felt to the fender washer.  I hope that makes sense...  I could then advanced the screw such that it pushed the felt pad against the ground board.  With a little fiddling I could get just the right amount of friction without introducing any stiction.  It worked very well and was quite smooth to operate.  A very good upgrade in my opinion.  Just more complicated than I thought when I started.

Only after I'd done that work did I talk with a couple of friends of mine who use Dobsonians all the time.  I was told the more usual cure for sticktion is to fiddle with the diameter for the PTFE pads Dobs usually "ride" on.  Smaller diameter pads means less stiction.  Now I know.

#9 Tom Duncan

Tom Duncan

Surveyor 1

• Vendors
  • topic starter

Posted 24 January 2021 - 06:48 PM

Yes Tom !

The 12 incher carries my butt around the universe on any night when i don't feel up to standing by a telescope !

https://www.cloudyni...new-bino-chair/

CS

Bob

Excellent!

Tom

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics