•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Meade LX90 12” ACF useing C-battery’s use or not to use!?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Supernova74

Supernova74

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Epsom surrey near (London)

Posted 23 January 2021 - 06:04 PM

Hi all calling out to all Meade users LX90,LX200 users.

without a question of a doubt one of the biggest design flaws regarding the Meade LX90 line up of scopes is where the power supply is situated on bottom of the fork arms of the scope.and even with the cord wrap safety option in the Audiostar hand set functions serves a purpose to a certain degree as a safety precaution however on many nights observing the main cable still manages to wrap its self round the base of the fork arms.

so meanwhile I have been useing energiser 2500mah x8 c-cell rechargeable batteries on and off however haven’t had many observing sessions recently due to typical bad uk weather for thorough testing.however I’ve heard plus sides and negatives in useing batteries to function the scopes and like to here if the rumours are true for folks who have had more experience useing them on a more regular basis.for exsample do you loose performance when batteries discharge under 50% and is it true that goto Acuracy and tracking is reduced also.

as I’m also operating a dew strap also not very often I’m also thinking of a dedicated lipo power tank battery that can be strapped side of the forks the only draw back it costs around $250 and more set up time with cable routing etc.this will be on a splitter to run the scope and dew strap for around 4-5 hrs if needed.however I could puchase higher end C-4500 rechargeable batteries for the scope for 1/4 of the price of the power pack then use a talent cell power bank just to run the dew strap on occasions.

thankyou guys Sean

Edited by Supernova74, 23 January 2021 - 06:07 PM.

#2 jgraham

jgraham

ISS

• Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Society

Posted 23 January 2021 - 10:47 PM

I have only used the internal batteries a couple of times and I’m now using the Meade lithium ion power pack. For me, cord wrap hasn’t been a big issue. If it starts to get twisted around I either move the battery or slew the scope around. GoTo accuracy seems to be fine with the internal batteries. The slew rate gets sluggish as the motors try to draw more than the batteries can provide. I thought about hanging a lithium ion battery on the mount, but I reconsidered after using the Meade power pack. It’s a handy piece of kit.

#3 michael8554

michael8554

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Wiltshire UK

Posted 24 January 2021 - 06:36 AM

Annoying that the power socket is on the fork, when their LX200GPS has it in the base.

With any battery-powered mount the batteries reach a state of charge where the load of a fast slew dips the volts too much and the mount goes haywire.

Rechargeable Voltage is 1.2V compared to 1.5V for non-rechargeables, but probably take longer to dip below 12V total.

Before any battery reaches the haywire state I don't believe GoTo's are affected.

#4 jgraham

jgraham

ISS

• Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Society

Posted 24 January 2021 - 09:52 AM

Yeah, I like the power port on the base. On the LX90GPS I placed a patch of Velcro under the fork right below the power socket to strain relieve the power cord.

It’s always something...

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics