•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Double Helical Focusers

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jkevn

jkevn

Ranger 4

• topic starter
  • Loc: Tucson, Arizona

Posted 23 January 2021 - 06:53 PM

Many helical focusers are referred to as "double". Does this mean an add-on to the existing focuser?

#2 SeattleScott

SeattleScott

Voyager 1

Posted 23 January 2021 - 07:34 PM

Do you have an example? Not familiar with this.

Do you mean dual speed helical focuser? In which case the main focuser is rack and pinion, or possibly crayford. Then you use the helical focuser for fine focus.

Scott

#3 izar187

izar187

Aurora

• Loc: 43N

Posted 23 January 2021 - 09:16 PM

If I'm remembering correctly, it is an outer barrel coarse threaded for faster movement of the ep, with an inner barrel that the ep goes in, which is finer threaded for fine tuning the focus. Outer barrel could also be helical crayford type with a fine thread insert.

I think. 

Edited by izar187, 23 January 2021 - 09:17 PM.

#4 Ulmer Spatz

Ulmer Spatz

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Croaker, Virginia

Posted 24 January 2021 - 09:05 AM

With focusing mechanisms for other optical instruments, there are "double helicoid" designs. This means that you can rotate the focusing ring with the glass remaining stationary in its own (second) ring. If "double" stands for "double helicoid," it could indicate a so-called non-rotating helical focuser. The eyepiece (or whatever else you stick into or attach to the focuser) does not rotate when you rotate the focusing ring.

But there is no standardization in astronomy gear terminology. And with unedited ad copy and machine translations nowadays, "double"  could mean all sorts of other things, like coarse / fine, rotating / push-pull, and who knows what else.

Edited by Ulmer Spatz, 24 January 2021 - 11:13 AM.

• izar187 likes this

#5 izar187

izar187

Aurora

• Loc: 43N

Posted 24 January 2021 - 03:59 PM

Wow, sure does.

I was going from memory from when I was in the market for one.

Like this:

https://astromart.co...helical-focuser

But a search yields these:

https://www.google.c...iw=1309&bih=810

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics