•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Dumb beginner question auto guiding

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Zoocrew

Zoocrew

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Snyder,TX

Posted 23 January 2021 - 07:01 PM

Ok... I wanna start auto guiding. I have a unused laptop that I’m gonna load phd2 on.

I have a 8SE ota on a CGEM2 mount. I also run star sense. I don’t know how to mount the 60mm guide scope to my ota. Does the 8SE allow me to install a second rail? What tail do I need? What are my options since star sense is taking up the mounting location?

I’m looking at Orion 60mm pro kit.

🙏 thank you

#2 Stelios

Stelios

Voyager 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: West Hills, CA

Posted 23 January 2021 - 07:34 PM

Your best bet with an SCT is an OAG. If you get a ZWO OAG and ASI 290MM-mini camera, that will cost you about the same if not less than the the 60mm pro kit *plus* a top dovetail, and will perform significantly better. 

#3 Zoocrew

Zoocrew

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Snyder,TX

Posted 23 January 2021 - 08:44 PM

Your best bet with an SCT is an OAG. If you get a ZWO OAG and ASI 290MM-mini camera, that will cost you about the same if not less than the the 60mm pro kit *plus* a top dovetail, and will perform significantly better.

I was hoping for something that I could use double duty on my ioptron sky guider pro as well. I’ve read where the oag is best for the sct’s though. Maybe I need a oag & a good camera. Then I’ll just get a televue scope for the ioptron.

Thanks

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics