•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

L-extreme filter giving chromatic aberation

accessories astrophotography filters imaging
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Celestial awe

Celestial awe

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 January 2021 - 08:20 PM

Hi all,

I just purchased optolong L-extreme filter attached on a qhy 163c  and 10 in newtonian reflector. When I shoot with the filter my stars appear red at top and white/blue at the bottom and slightly oblong in shape which I assumed is chromatic abberation. How can I cure this or what can I do to address the issue?

#2 imtl

imtl

Mercury-Atlas

• Moderators
  • Loc: Down in a hole

Posted 23 January 2021 - 08:29 PM

Do they look like that in a single sub or in your stacked lights?

#3 Celestial awe

Celestial awe

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 23 January 2021 - 08:44 PM

It just appears in shorter exposed subs. With longer exposures or stacked photos it disappears.

#4 terrypaula

terrypaula

Messenger

Posted 23 January 2021 - 08:45 PM

Are you sure it isn't an internal reflection?

#5 Jim Waters

Jim Waters

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA

Posted 23 January 2021 - 08:52 PM

Can you post a pic?  Need more information on your scope and any coma corrector you are using.

#6 Celestial awe

Celestial awe

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 January 2021 - 12:23 AM

I don't have any example pics on this pc but can get some if you need them later. First I should ask: What is internal reflection and what does it look like?

My equipment is a 10inch apertura newtownian reflector with a GSO coma corrector and a qhy 168c camera. By cc to camera spacing is still about 5 mm off but I have a filter holder ordered that will allow me an exact spacing for the camera to cc. The stars appear to have a reddish cap on top of them with bluer colors on the bottom.

Edited by Celestial awe, 29 January 2021 - 12:25 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: accessories, astrophotography, filters, imaging

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics