•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Install problem: AstroDevices Encoders on AZ8 mount

accessories mount equipment
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 David Martin

David Martin

Sputnik

• topic starter
  • Loc: Tigard, OR

Posted 23 January 2021 - 09:45 PM

Hi. I’m having some issues installing an AstroDevices encoder kit for my post-2018 Losmandy AZ8 mount. I received it today from EyepiecesEtc (great customer service, by the way). Installing was going fine for the first five steps but when I slid the encoder ring onto the axis, it went over the threaded portion of the axis but gets hung up at the non-threaded portion. So it doesn’t slide in all the way. Anyone else have this issue? Thoughts?

EDIT: By the way, I backed off the set screws so they aren’t the issue 

Attached Thumbnails

• 72D200D5-E4CD-4746-BFEB-A1254FA896C2.jpeg
  • F728967D-0F7B-4CA5-BEDE-DC70DA24417B.jpeg
  • 308FF4D7-5F29-49FB-9D5A-ADB0FE6B2116.jpeg

Edited by David Martin, 23 January 2021 - 09:46 PM.

#2 havasman

havasman

Voyager 1

• Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 23 January 2021 - 10:20 PM

You should be talking with Serge.

#3 junomike

junomike

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 23 January 2021 - 10:26 PM

Not sure but his instructions don't show the roller bearings like yours does?  This looks like the newer 2018+ version and also has 2 X washers over the roller bearing.

#4 David Martin

David Martin

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted 26 January 2021 - 11:33 AM

The two washers were removed per the instructions. I'll try to get ahold of Serge - sent an email to AstroDevices on Saturday but haven't heard back yet. 

#5 junomike

junomike

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 26 January 2021 - 12:19 PM

Let us know what he says as pg 3 (second link) clearly shows the two washers which are not in you pic

#6 genelew

genelew

Mariner 2

• Loc: Westchester County NY

Posted 26 January 2021 - 01:06 PM

I had a problem like this with my AZ8. The altitude encoder ring went on fine but I could not get the ring onto the azimuth axle. In my case, I couldn't get it over the threaded part. I spoke to Serge and I finally managed to get it threaded on far enough to get the clutch ring threaded. Serge told me to force the encoder ring onto the axle with the clutch ring. I ended up using one of those strap wrenches to grip the clutch ring and force the encoder ring on. It worked and the encoders worked fine. 

But best to talk to Serge first to be sure he understands your particular problem. He is the best and will do everything to help you. He spoke to me for 40 minutes analyzing my problem and solving it for me.

Gene

#7 David Martin

David Martin

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted 26 January 2021 - 02:18 PM

Let us know what he says as pg 3 (second link) clearly shows the two washers which are not in you pic

I see what you mean, but my instructions on page 3 say "Remove the clutch knob, wavy washer and spacer - you will not need the washer and the spacer". I believe that even if they were not removed, I'd still have the problem sliding the ring over the unthreaded part of that shaft. The ID of the ring seems to be 0.1mm smaller than the OD of the shaft. 

**Edit: I did send an email to the sales email on AstroDevices in addition to sending an email through their "contact us form." 

Thanks to all. 

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_2175.jpeg

Edited by David Martin, 26 January 2021 - 02:19 PM.

#8 David Martin

David Martin

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted 26 January 2021 - 02:21 PM

I had a problem like this with my AZ8. The altitude encoder ring went on fine but I could not get the ring onto the azimuth axle. In my case, I couldn't get it over the threaded part. I spoke to Serge and I finally managed to get it threaded on far enough to get the clutch ring threaded. Serge told me to force the encoder ring onto the axle with the clutch ring. I ended up using one of those strap wrenches to grip the clutch ring and force the encoder ring on. It worked and the encoders worked fine. 

But best to talk to Serge first to be sure he understands your particular problem. He is the best and will do everything to help you. He spoke to me for 40 minutes analyzing my problem and solving it for me.

Gene

Yikes - I can't imagine having to force this on. I measured with my calipers and as far as I can see, the ID of the ring is about 0.1mm short of the OD of the shaft. I have heard that Serge provides very good customer service - hope he can help me work this out. 

#9 astrodevices

astrodevices

Vendor-Astro Devices

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Sydney, Australia

Posted 26 January 2021 - 05:41 PM

Hello David,

The encoder rings are designed for a tight fit. You can use the knurled clutch knob to push the rings onto the unthreaded part of the shaft. Please also note that you need to put a flat washer between the encoder ring and the thrust bearing as your photos above do not show it. Here is the order of the parts on the shaft's end:

1. Flat washer

2. Thrust bearing

3. Flat washer

4. Encoder ring

5. Flat washer
6. Thrust bearing
7. Flat washer

8. Wavy washer

9. Clutch knob

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Best Regards,

Serge.

• junomike likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: accessories, mount, equipment

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics