•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

My first Tak!

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 Stellar1

Stellar1

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Ontario, Canada

Posted 23 January 2021 - 10:46 PM

After dreaming about owning a Tak I finally have one, I find myself with butterflies in my stomach thinking this is too good for me lol. It all happened when I responded to a classified ad for an unrelated item then struck a conversation with a gentleman who happens to have more than one Tak including a TOA150.  Once he heard me mention how much I wanted to have a Tak one day, his next sentence was “well I have a couple which I don’t use much anymore” considering he has about 15 scopes. He was willing to part with this mint TSA-102 which I jumped on. It is fitted with a beautiful moonlight focusser, the original focuser he gave me also, in case I wanted the authentic look or for resale one day I can offer the original focuser.

This will be my first and last Tak (my wife said emphatically) “ok sweetie” I replied, I hope so because they are pricey and, I’m not rich. Anyway, I’d love to hear about any experiences with this scope some of you may have, the nice fellow who sold it said “on a night of good seeing you’ll run out of power, it takes magnification like a champion” I can’t wait for a clear night. This is more scope than I’ve ever had, I’m ecstatic, I almost got dizzy when I stood back and looked at it after I put it on my Vixen GP. It sure is a beautiful scope and, being a fan of splitting doubles, this scope should make short work of difficult doubles seeing permitting.

Some of you may have contributed comments and likes to my recent thread "Hand Crafting a Takahashi" thanks for all the likes on that thread. What makes it strange is that post is very recent and, i hadn't owned a Tak when i made the post. This one came out of nowhere, Just yesterday i was wondering when i'll ever have one considering supply chain issues during covid and whether i'd save up for one before a meteor took out the planet lol.

Attached Thumbnails

• Shot 2.jpg
  • Shot 1.jpg

Edited by Stellar1, 24 January 2021 - 12:25 AM.

• Daniel Mounsey, Jacques, Paul G and 40 others like this

#2 Barlowbill

Barlowbill

Apollo

• Loc: Tulsa, Oklahoma

Posted 23 January 2021 - 11:05 PM

You must tell us of your views through that beautiful TAK

• Stellar1 likes this

#3 tog

tog

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Front Yard

Posted 23 January 2021 - 11:23 PM

Congrats! Beautiful scope. You are indeed a lucky person.

• Stellar1 likes this

#4 skygazer66WA

skygazer66WA

Sputnik

• Loc: Oregon Territory

Posted 23 January 2021 - 11:25 PM

The TSA-102 is among the finest 4" refractors ever made; enjoy!

• Daniel Mounsey, Alterf, payner and 5 others like this

#5 RedzoneMN

RedzoneMN

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: West of the Twin Cities

Posted 23 January 2021 - 11:26 PM

Take it out often and you will be rewarded.
  • Stellar1 likes this

#6 Paul Hyndman

Paul Hyndman

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Connecticut Shoreline USA

Posted 23 January 2021 - 11:46 PM

Beautiful scope, Congrats!

• Stellar1 likes this

#7 hypergolic

hypergolic

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Richmond Hill, Georgia

Posted 24 January 2021 - 12:28 AM

On a Vixen mount no less! 

:)

• Stellar1 likes this

#8 hamers

hamers

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Madison, WI

Posted 24 January 2021 - 12:29 AM

Awesome !  I have a Tak TSA-120 and absolutely love it.  I'm sure yours will give you outstanding performance ! Congrats not only on getting it, but also on getting it as good price !

• 25585 and Stellar1 like this

#9 Tyson M

Tyson M

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Canada

Posted 24 January 2021 - 01:13 AM

One of the finest scopes ever made. Seriously.

Enjoy

• 25585 and Stellar1 like this

#10 Allan Wade

Allan Wade

Aurora

• Loc: Newcastle, Australia

Posted 24 January 2021 - 01:43 AM

The TSA 102 is a legend amongst 4" scopes.

• Colin exraaf, 25585 and Stellar1 like this

#11 Stellar1

Stellar1

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 January 2021 - 01:55 AM

The TSA 102 is a legend amongst 4" scopes.

Enjoy

Enjoy

Whoa! no pressure here to produce a killer first light report, Thanks everyone! I'm about as stoked as can be waiting for a clear night. 

Unfortunately I have sub zero temps working against me for the next couple months (observing in minus 10C) is out of the question 

so I'll be biting my lip for a bit longer. Accidently quoted one post twice here, couldn't remove the second, sorry. 

Edited by Stellar1, 24 January 2021 - 02:11 AM.

#12 Tyson M

Tyson M

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Canada

Posted 24 January 2021 - 01:58 AM

You will likely have to wait 45 to an hour for the best med to high power views but it will be worth it.

I've had two of them. 

Ps dress warmer and you will be fine:)  I've set up my 9" in -20C but then again I am a special kind of crazy haha

• Stellar1 likes this

#13 samovu

samovu

Surveyor 1

• Loc: So CA

Posted 24 January 2021 - 02:08 AM

Congratulations. Beautiful scope!

• Stellar1 likes this

#14 Stellar1

Stellar1

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 January 2021 - 02:16 AM

You will likely have to wait 45 to an hour for the best med to high power views but it will be worth it.

I've had two of them. 

Ps dress warmer and you will be fine:)  I've set up my 9" in -20C but then again I am a special kind of crazy haha

Yes, triplets take a bit longer to cool as I've learned with my last frac. Good thing I have a cold storage in my basement where I can put the scope in well before I head out, so at least its not such a drastic change. 

Edited by Stellar1, 24 January 2021 - 02:16 AM.

• RedzoneMN likes this

#15 JeremySh

JeremySh

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 24 January 2021 - 03:19 AM

Congratulations on this very fine telescope. Enjoy!

• Stellar1 likes this

#16 StarDust1

StarDust1

Apollo

Posted 24 January 2021 - 05:09 AM

Congrats, that’s a beautiful scope!

Yes, the scope can take crazy high magnification. I have had my FS-102NSV on the moon with 800x plus magnification...
  • eros312, Stellar1 and Tom Graham like this

#17 rbish237

rbish237

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Tennessee, USA

Posted 24 January 2021 - 07:34 AM

Congratulations!  I have a TSA-102 (also purchased used) and it is indeed a lifetime scope for a flexible 4" refactor.  A joy for visual across a wide range of magnifications, and I also use it for imaging with the Tak reducer where it also performs very well.  Enjoy yours in good health, and under clear skies!

• Erik Bakker and Stellar1 like this

#18 bobhen

bobhen

Aurora

Posted 24 January 2021 - 07:35 AM

If you haven't read it, HERE is a great, in-depth review of the TSA 102. The reviewer, of course, loved it. Here is his final thought: Very highly recommended: with the TSA-102, Takahashi honed the small triplet apochromat to exquisite perfection.

You will not do better in the 4-class of apo refractors.

I have the 102's bigger brother, the TSA 120, and the optics are superb.

Enjoy,

Bob

• eros312, Stellar1 and Tom Graham like this

#19 RAKing

RAKing

Cosmos

• Loc: West of the D.C. Nebula

Posted 24 January 2021 - 08:55 AM

If you haven't read it, HERE is a great, in-depth review of the TSA 102. The reviewer, of course, loved it. Here is his final thought: Very highly recommended: with the TSA-102, Takahashi honed the small triplet apochromat to exquisite perfection.

Why should I bother to type anything?  Bob says it all!

Great scope!  Congrats!  Enjoy!

Ron

• Stellar1 likes this

#20 Stellar1

Stellar1

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 January 2021 - 09:19 AM

Enjoy,

Bob

Wow, thanks for posting that link. When I think about all those times I made snap decisions and, bought something I “must have” only to regret it later, this Tak will not be one of those items. An in depth review by someone who obviously knows what they’re talking about and, not just someone trying to advertise a product. 

I have to find that clamshell ring, definitely looks nicer than the generic rings I have now.

Edited by Stellar1, 24 January 2021 - 09:29 AM.

#21 donadani

donadani

Apollo

• Loc: Germany

Posted 24 January 2021 - 09:44 AM

Great scope in optics and mechanics - congrats!

• RAKing, rerun, Bomber Bob and 1 other like this

#22 Stellar1

Stellar1

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 January 2021 - 09:59 AM

attachicon.gifTSA.jpg

Great scope in optics and mechanics - congrats!

It certainly looks that way, thanks! that is a nice image of the business end of your Tak!

#23 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators
  • Loc: NC

Posted 24 January 2021 - 11:32 AM

Nice!  I bought my first Tak, a beautiful and nearly mint FS-102, from a fellow CN’er nearly 7 years ago.  Takahashi really wasn’t even on my radar screen for brands that I felt a compelling interest to try out at that time.  But the price was right, and the seller was someone that I considered a friend, as we had done multiple other gear trades between us over the past several years.  I didn’t even need this scope, as I already had what I considered to be a nearly perfect 4” Stellarvue apo doublet.  I figured I’d buy the Tak, have fun checking it out for a few months, and then resell it for what I paid.  Well, it didn’t take long before the 4” SV was dethroned as my favorite scope, and soon it was on its way to a new owner.  The SV was very good, but IMO the Tak was even better, something that I wouldn’t have believed had I not had a chance to compare the two side by side. 

My 4” Tak is still a keeper, and will be for a long, long time.  I hope you get as much enjoyment out of yours as I have with mine!

• doctordub, Erik Bakker, payner and 3 others like this

#24 Stellar1

Stellar1

Apollo

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 January 2021 - 12:05 PM

Nice!  I bought my first Tak, a beautiful and nearly mint FS-102, from a fellow CN’er nearly 7 years ago.  Takahashi really wasn’t even on my radar screen for brands that I felt a compelling interest to try out at that time.  But the price was right, and the seller was someone that I considered a friend, as we had done multiple other gear trades between us over the past several years.  I didn’t even need this scope, as I already had what I considered to be a nearly perfect 4” Stellarvue apo doublet.  I figured I’d buy the Tak, have fun checking it out for a few months, and then resell it for what I paid.  Well, it didn’t take long before the 4” SV was dethroned as my favorite scope, and soon it was on its way to a new owner.  The SV was very good, but IMO the Tak was even better, something that I wouldn’t have believed had I not had a chance to compare the two side by side. 

My 4” Tak is still a keeper, and will be for a long, long time.  I hope you get as much enjoyment out of yours as I have with mine!

Thanks! From what you wrote it seems like you didn't find your Tak, your Tak found you! as it wasn't even on your radar. 

• Scott in NC likes this

#25 Scott in NC

Scott in NC

Refractor Fanatic

• Administrators
  • Loc: NC

Posted 24 January 2021 - 12:06 PM

I think you’re right! grin.gif  I just happened to be home from work that day, and I saw the Astromart ad less than 5 minutes after it was posted.  My friend told me that a few more inquiries about the scope came in within minutes of mine, but my enthusiastic “I’ll take it!” came in first.

• Stellar1 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics