•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Celestron Nightscape First Light

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 colinrasmussen

colinrasmussen

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted 24 January 2021 - 12:50 AM

So before spending thousands of $'s only to discover astrophotography is not my thing, I bought a used Celestron Nightscape. I know it's not a favorite of serious astrophotgaphers but I figured I could play around and see if this is fun enough to keep my interest. I have had a telescope of one kind or another since I was 8 (I'm 61) and currently have a Meade 8" LX200 GPS (which is what the camera is mounted on) and a 12" dob.

The idea was I could take pictures of objects with the LX while wandering around the sky visually with the Dob.

Attached is a quick and dirty first attempt using an easy target (M42). Final product was from 12 x 15 sec frames stacked and processed using the AFX software.  The only thing I don't really like is that there is no true live mode and so focussing is a bit of a protracted exercise.

Based on this I am encouraged that this could be fun - also clear that you can "see" more than you can with the naked eye.

Not looking for critique, as I said this was a quick and dirty.

Attached Thumbnails

• 2021-01-21 M42(L).jpg

• pgs/sdg and rj144 like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics