•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Imaging doubles without tracking ( South 561 in Puppis)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 The Ardent

The Ardent

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Virginia

Posted 24 January 2021 - 04:35 AM

I was experimenting with a different setup this weekend, an alt-azimuth mounted Newtonian for visual observing (not a Dobsonian) While observing some of the lovely sights in Puppis like M93, NGC 2467, and the lovely gold Xi Pup, I came across a neat triple near Omicron Pup. 

South 561 is rather wide, quite conspicuous, and has a slight color contrast. The Milky Way field here is full of faint doubles, especially around field star AD Pup. I was able to both sketch it Friday evening and photograph it on Saturday. The imaging was unplanned. But given the view, I wanted to capture it for later study. 

Doing this without tracking requires very short exposures and high ISO, opposite of what my prior experience has taught. After a few tries and lots of deleted blurry trails, I got something somewhat useable. 

Im pretty excited that it worked! 

Attached Thumbnails

• South 561.jpg
  • Sigma Orio.jpg

• Ken Sturrock, jrkirkham, chrysalis and 3 others like this

#2 The Ardent

The Ardent

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Virginia

Posted 24 January 2021 - 04:37 AM

Here is the sketch of South 561. The sketch is inverted from the camera image. 

Attached Thumbnails

• 4BA713A3-C940-4107-B4F3-AF908CEF7D95.jpeg

• flt158 likes this

#3 flt158

flt158

Vanguard

• Loc: Dublin, Republic of Ireland

Posted 24 January 2021 - 07:33 AM

Excellent contribution by you here, Ray. 

Thank you for showing us your recent multiple star groups. 

I was only observing Sigma Orionis and STF 761 last Thursday night. 

And I believe I have been looking at them both since the late 1970's. 

Oh yes! It is always good to be charitable and compassionate. 

Good Motto that!

Very best regards from Aubrey.  

• The Ardent likes this

#4 c2m2t

c2m2t

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Pembroke, Ont.

Posted 24 January 2021 - 09:41 AM

Hi Ray!

Excellent shoots! I have been doing a similar experiment with my 12" Meade LX200 SCT, trying to emulate what I am able to image with my SW 100 ProED in a 30 second exposure. I can very practically, with a 3 to 5 second exposure, able to achieve a similar result and the fov is very similar...and I don't need the barlow which surprises me a bit. This works best when one is imaging closer to the NCP given that sky move slower the closer to Polaris that you get. Only issue is that each image has a slightly different north/south line.

I am a bit amazed at the shortness of your exposure...those high ISO's sure help. Love to see images!! The mini Sagitta, Sigma Orionis, is one of my favourites for a star party. I did check my doubles inventory for Puppis...several more South systems that I have captured, that are very punchy and easy to see...but no S 561. I have added it to my list...but it could be just a bit too south for me...sorry for the pun. Actually, I am quite surprised that Dr. South spent any time in Puppis given his main observing activities being in England. But I have a nagging suspicion that he spent some time in France observing and cataloging. Other systems that I have imaged are South's 550, 557, 563 and 568. Although brighter, none are quite as exciting as S 561.

Cheers, Chris. 

• The Ardent, jrkirkham and flt158 like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics