•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Didn't expect to get results like this! (M1)

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Lucas.Maguire

Lucas.Maguire

Explorer 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Rhode Island

Posted 24 January 2021 - 08:47 AM

Good Morning!

I set sights on M1, The crab nebula, after imaging my first panel for a 4 panel mosaic on IC1805. I framed it up and figured this would be a good sequence to "fall asleep" to and let my equipment run all night. I had captured 53 subs before it started to hide behind some neighboring trees at 180s in length using the L-eXtreme filter. Equipment used can be seen in my Sig and full size on My Astrobin. I was shocked at how well this came out for its size and focal length used smile.gif . 

Sequenced in NINA

Stacked in DSS (53x180 Lights+ 30x180 Darks)

Processed in Photoshop

Thanks For Looking!

Clear Skies!

-Luc

Attached Thumbnails

• M1.jpg

• dswtan, chrysalis, johnsoda and 5 others like this

#2 imtl

imtl

Mercury-Atlas

• Moderators
  • Loc: Down in a hole

Posted 24 January 2021 - 09:02 AM

Not sure if you used flats, according to your post you haven't. It looks like you got dust bunnies.

#3 Lucas.Maguire

Lucas.Maguire

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 24 January 2021 - 09:04 AM

Not sure if you used flats, according to your post you haven't. It looks like you got dust bunnies.

I did not. crazy.gif  I'm going to take flats today (amazon shipment inbound later) when I get my panel and re calibrate.

#4 johnsoda

johnsoda

Surveyor 1

• Loc: SW Ohio, USA

Posted 24 January 2021 - 09:09 AM

Could be a lot worse.  I did this years ago on M1.  Really taught me about the need for flats (and cleaning my optics).

1448ACD6-B48E-4047-A041-08C9287FE6E3.jpeg

• pyrasanth and Lucas.Maguire like this

#5 pyrasanth

pyrasanth

Soyuz

Posted 24 January 2021 - 09:10 AM

That's a good result. It is worth you having a look at creating flats. It would also be worth cropping your image so we have a closer look at M1. I've been working on M1 for the last few weeks & have posted my update https://www.cloudyni...ore-of-m1-lrgb/

I use the C14 so it's a far bigger instrument to get up close & personal. Keep up the great work!

Edited by pyrasanth, 24 January 2021 - 09:45 AM.

• Lucas.Maguire likes this

#6 Lucas.Maguire

Lucas.Maguire

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 24 January 2021 - 09:14 AM

That's a good result. It is woth you having a look at creating flats. It would also be worth cropping your image so we have a closer look at M1. I've been working on M1 for the last few weeks & have posted my update https://www.cloudyni...ore-of-m1-lrgb/

I use the C14 so it's a far bigger instrument to get up close & personal. Keep up the great work!

Thank you! Yours looks great! I sold my 8" Meade ACF and LX65 mount to get a deep sky rig a few months ago. I bet if I still had that optical tube with a reducer I'd get a closer look. undecided.gif

#7 pyrasanth

pyrasanth

Soyuz

Posted 24 January 2021 - 09:35 AM

Could be a lot worse.  I did this years ago on M1.  Really taught me about the need for flats (and cleaning my optics).

attachicon.gif1448ACD6-B48E-4047-A041-08C9287FE6E3.jpeg

I was really bored- so I put aside my selfish tendencies and cleaned your image a bit for you- I can't stand to see good data going to waste.

Cleaned.jpg

• Lucas.Maguire likes this

#8 Lucas.Maguire

Lucas.Maguire

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 24 January 2021 - 12:03 PM

Shot some flats and dark flats then reprocessed my data and am still quite happy with the results smile.gif .

Full size and revision on My Astrobin.

-Luc

Attached Thumbnails

• Crab Nebula.JPG

• F.Meiresonne and johnsoda like this

#9 F.Meiresonne

F.Meiresonne

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Eeklo,Belgium

Posted 24 January 2021 - 12:13 PM

Indeed a good image.

The dust spots i did not notice at first on the former image, probably due to my rather poor old laptop screen.

#10 limeyx

limeyx

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 24 January 2021 - 01:02 PM

Looks nice !

#11 Lucas.Maguire

Lucas.Maguire

Explorer 1

• topic starter

Posted 24 January 2021 - 01:05 PM

Indeed a good image.

The dust spots i did not notice at first on the former image, probably due to my rather poor old laptop screen.

Looks nice !

Thank you! I believe Its time to blow off and clean the filters smirk.gif

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics