•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Counterweights at low Polaris Alt.

accessories astrophotography dso equipment
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Agreegator

Agreegator

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 January 2021 - 09:20 AM

I am using Skywatcher AZ GTI Mount. My OTA + DSLR weigh a total of 7.5 lb against mount capacity of 11 lb. 

The mount is easily getting perfect exposures of 30 - 45 seconds. I got an Eq wedge for it, so I can try longer exposures. 

From where I'm imaging, Polaris is only 15 Degrees in Alt. The mount is almost horizontal when polar aligned. even with the OTA mounted, the mount does not 'fall' in any direction at all in Azimuth axis. Even in the most unstable Azimuth position, I still have to apply the usual force, to move it. Its just borderline horizontal.    

So, I am wondering if I should even bother with counterweights ? Just seems like an overkill to me  - at such low angle and I would rather not overburden the mount with more weight. I'll really appreciate some suggestions on whether I should use any counterweights on this or not?

Thank you.   

Edited by Agreegator, 24 January 2021 - 09:36 AM.

#2 Couder

Couder

Viking 1

• Loc: Mansfield, Missouri in the Ozarks

Posted 24 January 2021 - 10:04 AM

Having counterweights will ease the load on the motor, clutch, and gear(s).

#3 macdonjh

macdonjh

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 24 January 2021 - 11:34 AM

Having counterweights will ease the load on the motor, clutch, and gear(s).

+1

Don't be concerned about the mount parts like bearings and such.  They are quite capable of carrying an additional few pounds for counter weights.  Like Couder says, having your telescope properly balanced with counter weights makes moving your scope easier on the mount's motors.  Might also improve tracking.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: accessories, astrophotography, dso, equipment

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics