•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Questar (New Hope) or Company 7

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 NC Startrekker

NC Startrekker

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Sandhills of NC

Posted 24 January 2021 - 11:02 AM

What would be the advantage(s), if any, of having your Questar serviced by C7 vice Jim and crew at Questar?

#2 Radiowaver

Radiowaver

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Seattle, Washington USA

Posted 24 January 2021 - 11:39 AM

I purchased my 50th Anniv. through C7, ordering directly from Martin. C7 will reject a scope that does not meet a level of excellence that should be expected from Questar. The average "Joe"...ME.....would not necessarily have the awareness or skill to properly evaluate any particular scope. This was the reason I went through C7 vs buying direct from Q. My particular scope has performed flawlessly since day one. My hope is that Questar and Company 7 both maintain their respective reputations for many years to come. C7 is a brick and mortar store, which in itself is a rarity in this market. Another way to look at this, you are essentially keeping 2 companies in business with the purchase of a single product. Hand made perfection comes at a cost, but to me is absolutely worth every penny.

#3 Radiowaver

Radiowaver

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Seattle, Washington USA

Posted 24 January 2021 - 11:54 AM

Somehow I read your post as to "purchasing" vs "service". Based on my personal experience with C7, I would not hesitate to send my Q50 to them for service.

• NC Startrekker likes this

#4 Optics Patent

Optics Patent

Vanguard

• Loc: Dallas TX

Posted 24 January 2021 - 12:03 PM

I always go to the factory. If something is marginal, there’s more room to resolve things without an intervening businesses need to earn some profit.

But if you’re local or have a relationship with a retailer than that makes more sense.
  • Mike Allen, SandyHouTex and NC Startrekker like this

#5 vrotondi

vrotondi

Vendor -Pier-Tech Observatories

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 24 January 2021 - 01:05 PM

I recommend C7. Exceptional service and Martin has a lot of knowledge about astronomy, optics and the Questar product.

VR

• Radiowaver and NC Startrekker like this

#6 NC Startrekker

NC Startrekker

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 24 January 2021 - 01:20 PM

Ben’s logic is sound and generally is the approach I tend to take with things. As an example, while I do purchase things from online sources like Etsy, I will first try to seek out the actual maker or vendor and see if I can order direct from them. But, Company 7 seems to have a very good reputation, especially from folks here on this forum.  I was also reading a post about how busy Questar is these days and that they recommended one of our members wait until next month to send their Q back for a warranty issue. I’m not at all knocking Questar. I really like Jim R. and the folks there. They have always been very helpful. I also understand they are a very small company and that the amateur astronomy business has become a secondary market behind their government contracts. It then got me to thinking, while C7 couldn’t help our fellow member with a warranty issue, perhaps there is an argument for pushing other service issues their way instead of to the Mother Ship.  That led to the question. 

• Radiowaver likes this

#7 pbealo

pbealo

Apollo

• Loc: New Hampshire

Posted 25 January 2021 - 06:38 AM

There are other sellers of Questars out there if you prefer a "personal" touch. Tony are Astronomy Shoppe is a Questar distributor and often has used models as well. I have no financial interest in this company.

Peter

#8 Mike Allen

Mike Allen

Messenger

Posted 25 January 2021 - 07:06 AM

Will Company 7 service instruments that were not purchased from them?

#9 Optics Patent

Optics Patent

Vanguard

Posted 25 January 2021 - 08:09 AM

I overlooked the most important point.  I often say that that it's a miracle Questar even exists to sell parts to us enthusiasts and collectors, and to give advice.  I sometimes offer this as an apology for their less than modern website or slow customer service response to emails.

With all appreciation to those who can sustain a traditional retail business in this era, I put a much higher value on Questar staying in business that I do in a distant retailer.  If there are limited profits to be earned, and harsh reality suggests some peril to an old business model, I'd rather see all the profits go to Questar, because a world with Questar and no retailers is vastly preferable to the contrary.

I also note that I have started looking directly to manufactures when making a major purchase on Amazon.  This avoid doing business with a company that some believe is abusing its market power, may avoid state sales taxes, and helps manufacturer survive with increased profits.  I'm just launching an Amazon retail store on something fun but unrelated to any of this (I'll share soon) and it appears that Amazon will receive an appalling lion's share of the profits from the endeavor. 

• Bill Jensen, SandyHouTex, NC Startrekker and 2 others like this

#10 NC Startrekker

NC Startrekker

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 25 January 2021 - 08:48 AM

There are other sellers of Questars out there if you prefer a "personal" touch. Tony are Astronomy Shoppe is a Questar distributor and often has used models as well. I have no financial interest in this company.

Peter

Thanks Peter but I'm not looking to buy one.  I already have a Q50.  As an aside, if I were looking to buy new, I would look to our sponsor first.  Instead, my question is completely about servicing and repairs.  As far as I know, there are three possible providers for such service when it comes to Questars.  First is Questar itself. Second is Company 7.  Finally, there is Tony at the Astronomy Shoppe.  If anyone knows of another, please post and let us know.

P.S. - I will keep Ben in the advanced amateur category for now since he has not hung out a shingle to provide service for hire! wink.gif 

• JamesMStephens likes this

#11 RichA

RichA

Gemini

• Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 25 January 2021 - 10:01 PM

I overlooked the most important point.  I often say that that it's a miracle Questar even exists to sell parts to us enthusiasts and collectors, and to give advice.  I sometimes offer this as an apology for their less than modern website or slow customer service response to emails.

With all appreciation to those who can sustain a traditional retail business in this era, I put a much higher value on Questar staying in business that I do in a distant retailer.  If there are limited profits to be earned, and harsh reality suggests some peril to an old business model, I'd rather see all the profits go to Questar, because a world with Questar and no retailers is vastly preferable to the contrary.

I also note that I have started looking directly to manufactures when making a major purchase on Amazon.  This avoid doing business with a company that some believe is abusing its market power, may avoid state sales taxes, and helps manufacturer survive with increased profits.  I'm just launching an Amazon retail store on something fun but unrelated to any of this (I'll share soon) and it appears that Amazon will receive an appalling lion's share of the profits from the endeavor. 

We saw what Zeiss did.  Not long after German reunification, they killed the consumer astronomy division.  Not enough profit.   I often wonder why Questar stays in the consumer realm, unless the volume is the reason. 

#12 vrotondi

vrotondi

Vendor -Pier-Tech Observatories

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 25 January 2021 - 10:17 PM

Its not always about the money. 

• Bill Jensen, SandyHouTex, NC Startrekker and 1 other like this

#13 NC Startrekker

NC Startrekker

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 26 January 2021 - 11:35 AM

Its not always about the money. 

I think it is something like this for Questar.  While their viability these days is linked to their government contracts, the company was not born with that vision in mind.

Lawrence Braymer developed the Q3.5 as the finest small telescope possible for the advanced amateur of the 1950's.  It's smallness has allowed it to retain that link to its past and its roots.  Upon his untimely passing in the 1960's, the company's leadership was taken up by his wife.  The company still employs folks with direct ties or memories of both.  Jim R's father worked for both and Jim took up the mantra from his father.

As I see it, Questar has a foot in each camp.  The professional end (their commercial contracts) are definitely about the money.  Conversely, true to their roots, they have an innate desire to continue to serve the amateur community as well.  They just have to judiciously perform the latter around the demands of the former.

Edited by NC Startrekker, 26 January 2021 - 03:26 PM.

• Bill Jensen, cbwerner, Erik Bakker and 2 others like this

#14 Optics Patent

Optics Patent

Vanguard

Posted 26 January 2021 - 12:10 PM

For what it's worth, my call yesterday indicates that they are presently swamped with government production.  That means that the Five is aside while they're "making hay."

• medpeds likes this

#15 Erik Bakker

Erik Bakker

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: Netherlands, Europe

Posted 26 January 2021 - 05:23 PM

The Questar Corporation is lovingly called Mothership by some of our members at times. There are good reasons for that.

My vote for buying new is from Questar. Or from your favorite dealer if you personally value them highly.

• NC Startrekker and medpeds like this

#16 Optics Patent

Optics Patent

Vanguard

Posted 26 January 2021 - 08:04 PM

I sometimes call it “Q” in the spirit of the equipper of 007. Or “The Factory”.
  • JamesMStephens likes this

#17 Hunziker-1

Hunziker-1

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Inland Northwest

Posted 05 February 2021 - 05:13 PM

Thanks for all of the great opinions here, I’m new and have been reviewing these quite awesome forums for a couple of months. Yesterday I decided to call Jim R. In New Hope for my new Q. I’m only planning on buying one In my life and have wanted one since I was 8 so I went with the 3.5 Duplex, 1/10th wave upgrade and the PGIII. 14 long weeks to go and I’m very excited.

• SandyHouTex, NC Startrekker and Gregory Gross like this

#18 NC Startrekker

NC Startrekker

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 05 February 2021 - 05:28 PM

Thanks for all of the great opinions here, I’m new and have been reviewing these quite awesome forums for a couple of months. Yesterday I decided to call Jim R. In New Hope for my new Q. I’m only planning on buying one In my life and have wanted one since I was 8 so I went with the 3.5 Duplex, 1/10th wave upgrade and the PGIII. 14 long weeks to go and I’m very excited.

Welcome to the Questar family and the great group of folks that hang out on this forum. 14 months may seem an eternity away but it will be here in no time and will be well worth the wait. In the world of premium optics it could be a lot longer. I’m nine months and counting on a custom Dob and I have several friends who have been on Astro Physics lists for 7+ years!

• Hunziker-1 likes this

#19 JMKarian

JMKarian

Ranger 4

• Loc: Northwest Pennsylvania

Posted 05 February 2021 - 05:49 PM

Having taken both paths over the years . . . Gold at the end of each rainbow!

Edited by JMKarian, 05 February 2021 - 05:52 PM.

• Hunziker-1 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics