•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Green Vixen fl102s "collector" release? Only unique trim or f9 / f8.8?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 psychwolf

psychwolf

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Milwaukee, WI

Posted 24 January 2021 - 11:02 AM

I'm regularly on the lookout for a mint FL102 from time to time, and I'd seen this green "collector" release listing up for some time now - maybe 3 weeks. The seller seems to sell a lot of vintage gear and kept the listing firm at $1,550K and buyers are not lining up. It looks a bit worn, dusty. The seller claims no scratches from my low average Japanese + machine translation, but judging from the amount of dust on the lens it's not been in use for some time I'd say and description is pretty sparse. Feedback rating looks healthy however, so value seems priced at the high top, which is a risk given the stored in basement appearance.

What struck me about this one is there is no actual label on the side of it. Does anyone know if Vixen released these green tube versions? If so, what was special about them - just more of a green color and trim issue? 

Otherwise it almost seems like it got a coat of paint, but I'm used to seeing the Super Polaris plate on the side at least for the white tube versions that are more common, so I wonder if the paint is after market?

Anyway, I just missed a pristine, maintained FL102 that went for 1400 US, by just 100 this week, sigh.. so this is me looking at the nope bucket and wondering about the story of this scope now.

It's an interesting mystery, but also not a story I'd bet on vs a mint maintained scope. Listing is in Japanese, so just posting a few pics for reference for when the listing ends since I'd be curious to know.

Attached Thumbnails

• i-img640x480-15931369505ovfyq167664.jpg
  • i-img640x480-1593136941nc6wsf195561.jpg
  • i-img640x480-15931369557udwyk167669.jpg

#2 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: Cincinnati Metro Area

Posted 24 January 2021 - 11:14 AM

I highly doubt that is the original paint on the tube, the Focuser looks ‘unusual’ with that broad, untapped ‘platform’ for the finder in its center, (tho the adapter ring, extender, and v.b. look Vixen), and the rings are definitely not Vixen. I would steer a wide birth around that one at that price.

Edited by Terra Nova, 24 January 2021 - 11:17 AM.

• Littlegreenman, RichA, GreyDay and 4 others like this

#3 grif 678

grif 678

Vanguard

• Loc: NC

Posted 24 January 2021 - 11:15 AM

I have never seen one like this.

• Littlegreenman likes this

#4 psychwolf

psychwolf

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 24 January 2021 - 11:50 AM

I highly doubt that is the original paint on the tube, the Focuser looks ‘unusual’ with that broad, untapped ‘platform’ for the finder in its center, (tho the adapter ring, extender, and v.b. look Vixen), and the rings are definitely not Vixen. I would steer a wide birth around that one at that price.

Yes, this is what I thought as well. Most likely a case of someone selling a lot of old scopes, this one looked different than a typical fl102, therefore labeled "collector" even though it's been repainted with aftermarket rings and possibly a focuser modification a long time ago. But I'd love to be wrong on it if someone looks back on this thread years later and tells us all it was some rare release 1 in 100 or something.

Listing is here, you can see all the dust on the optics, it definitely needs a lot of work on it: ( https://page.auction...tion/c834325075 )

Edited by psychwolf, 24 January 2021 - 11:53 AM.

#5 RichA

RichA

Gemini

• Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 24 January 2021 - 05:10 PM

I'm regularly on the lookout for a mint FL102 from time to time, and I'd seen this green "collector" release listing up for some time now - maybe 3 weeks. The seller seems to sell a lot of vintage gear and kept the listing firm at $1,550K and buyers are not lining up. It looks a bit worn, dusty. The seller claims no scratches from my low average Japanese + machine translation, but judging from the amount of dust on the lens it's not been in use for some time I'd say and description is pretty sparse. Feedback rating looks healthy however, so value seems priced at the high top, which is a risk given the stored in basement appearance.

What struck me about this one is there is no actual label on the side of it. Does anyone know if Vixen released these green tube versions? If so, what was special about them - just more of a green color and trim issue? 

Otherwise it almost seems like it got a coat of paint, but I'm used to seeing the Super Polaris plate on the side at least for the white tube versions that are more common, so I wonder if the paint is after market?

Anyway, I just missed a pristine, maintained FL102 that went for 1400 US, by just 100 this week, sigh.. so this is me looking at the nope bucket and wondering about the story of this scope now.

It's an interesting mystery, but also not a story I'd bet on vs a mint maintained scope. Listing is in Japanese, so just posting a few pics for reference for when the listing ends since I'd be curious to know.

I'd just buy a Takahashi.  FS-102 ideally, or one of the newer ones that come up for $2k or so.

• Terra Nova likes this

#6 jjack's

jjack's

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: france

Posted 24 January 2021 - 06:23 PM

Lenses seem not like the original because they have a magenta coating. 

IMG_6053.JPG

here a picture of the focuser

IMG_5641.JPG

#7 jjack's

jjack's

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 24 January 2021 - 06:27 PM

Not only astounding on planetary views but also a beauty. I never let it go !

IMG_7096.jpg

• Terra Nova, Bomber Bob, STE411 and 3 others like this

#8 Terra Nova

Terra Nova

ISS

• Loc: Cincinnati Metro Area

Posted 24 January 2021 - 06:58 PM

So what is the purpose of the ‘platform’ at the focuser’s center? I see a Vixen finder shoe on the tube itself.

#9 psychwolf

psychwolf

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 24 January 2021 - 07:02 PM

I wouldnt say it's a question of if there's a fl102 in there, more in that it's probably not a collector release given nobody has heard of that, and it seems to be a paint over and 25 some years of time to tinker lost in context, so that's probably the end of the question right there.

Flourite glass can appear different colors depending on the region so I'm not convinced tint toward magenta is saying much on a scope this age, re an earlier suggestion..  my fl80s gets deep purple on an angle like that in pics, but can look brown in other pics. Again original post is more on if such editions actually existed, not trying to cast doubt on a seller.

Yes yes, inevitable there will be the Tak comparison, but I'm not convinced about Taks for the prices they can now demand, which is often way too high. The mint fl102 I was after this week was far worth it, as my fl90s can prove out through the eyepiece, so I wanted a little more aperture in the same good design. Too bad I bid short but although I've got no interest in this scope in the post, I'll be hunting again once someone else gets aperture fever or sells their "old" cared for FL scopes, for whatever reason.

But to get back to intent on my original post it's not to try to discredit some seller across the globe, more in that if there really is a collector release I'd be interested to know in the long run after that auction ends. Also, who thinks this is the f9 or f8.8 version? I can't tell when aftermarket stuff is applied so looking for other tells here.

Edited by psychwolf, 24 January 2021 - 08:16 PM.

#10 psychwolf

psychwolf

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 24 January 2021 - 08:11 PM

Not only astounding on planetary views but also a beauty. I never let it go !

attachicon.gifIMG_7096.jpg

Nice! Ok I am now imagining having a beauty of that caliper which I missed out on due to last 10 second bidding at 5am.. 

But, still enjoy my FL90s I have - so will hope to add the FL102 some day.. 

I realize I don't actually take too many pics of my scopes, but I do enjoy this beauty - from when I got it - 

Attached Thumbnails

• FL90s-incoming.jpg

Edited by psychwolf, 24 January 2021 - 08:13 PM.

• jjack's, Bomber Bob, walter a and 2 others like this

#11 jjack's

jjack's

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 25 January 2021 - 03:11 AM

Hi Terra Nova

The platform is only a glued cosmetic plate. Take it off and you discover four threaded holes to fix a finder like you can see on the Psychwolf 90 FL.

• Terra Nova likes this

#12 jjack's

jjack's

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 25 January 2021 - 03:25 AM

Hi Psychwolf

Make sure it is a steinheil kind of objective and not a fraunhofer.

Reflections on the lenses must look like those on your 90 FL

Maybe 20 years ago i saw the same FL 100 for second hand sale on a belgium website.

It have the same matt paint but black. Is it possible Vixen made some colors on demand ?

Edited by jjack's, 25 January 2021 - 03:32 AM.

#13 Volvonium

Volvonium

Viking 1

• Loc: Long Beach, CA

Posted 25 January 2021 - 04:20 PM

I've noticed those listings.  My personal opinion is that while they seem to have a number of rarer scopes up for sale, their listings are highly dubious.   The red flags I've noted in their listings is that they:

rarely give any description of the condition other than 'it's used.  No claims or returns accepted'

pictures are frequently unnecessarily dim/dark, so as to obscure condition defects

local buyers are avoiding their listings and their bad rating rate is higher than other sellers

I bought one eyepiece from them and it was full of fungus.  YMMV, but I would avoid.  

• Terra Nova likes this

#14 Bowlerhat

Bowlerhat

Apollo

• Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Posted 25 January 2021 - 04:36 PM

Lol this one is not worth it at all. And I know this listing, it's overpriced. for 1500 you can get one pristine OTA from koji or one with complete GP mount from auction. 

It is a paintjob. either vixens or celestrons would not make plain tubes without the branding nor label. 

• Terra Nova, Defenderslideguitar and Volvonium like this

#15 Volvonium

Volvonium

Viking 1

• Loc: Long Beach, CA

Posted 25 January 2021 - 04:46 PM

Lol this one is not worth it at all. And I know this listing, it's overpriced. for 1500 you can get one pristine OTA from koji or one with complete GP mount from auction. 

It is a paintjob. either vixens or celestrons would not make plain tubes without the branding nor label. 

Exactly.  A well vetted scope from Koji, with quality guarantee, would be a significantly better investment for the peace of mind.  His vetting and the quality of items he shares is a known quantity.   

• Terra Nova, Defenderslideguitar and Marcus Roman like this

#16 Bowlerhat

Bowlerhat

Apollo

• Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Posted 25 January 2021 - 04:58 PM

Exactly.  A well vetted scope from Koji, with quality guarantee, would be a significantly better investment for the peace of mind.  His vetting and the quality of items he shares is a known quantity.   

funny thing is although the price is cheaper, the shipping is not. In the end it's much better to get one from Koji just for OTA, but with guaranteed quality.

• Defenderslideguitar and Marcus Roman like this

#17 Defenderslideguitar

Defenderslideguitar

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Connecticut

Posted 25 January 2021 - 07:36 PM

Agree with the above...………..Probably  a paint job      and if it was a chance to get the FL102 at a discount because of the paint job   then it would be one thing      but we are not thinking it is rare collector piece

.Yes Koji has brought some high quality scopes to the classifieds. His recent  Vixen 90fl  with the rare reducer had my attention  but poof it is gone....

I have the C-102   bought from the original owner    It is F 8.8     My preference would have been for the Vixen white tube with that Vixen green gray color scheme  as my Vixen 80fl has. But the C-102fl has some outstanding views   and is in sweet condition           and I wonder if I would ever sell it just to get the color scheme I like....

Admittedly,  I have always wanted to have the whole  FL line     Vixen FL  in 102 , 90  80 and 70  all in the white with Green trim....

My old Tak FC-100 and the Vixen C -102fl have similar great views   the Tak FC-100 has a better quality build that you cannot help to notice. The Vixen 102fl is great but the focuser is just okay. Adding the moonlight to C-102fl made it so much better     quite like the Tak FC -100  but in a lighter package...

Edited by Defenderslideguitar, 26 January 2021 - 03:47 PM.

• Terra Nova and Volvonium like this

#18 Paul Sweeney

Paul Sweeney

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Heidelberg, Germany

Posted 26 January 2021 - 01:30 AM

Hi Terra Nova
The platform is only a glued cosmetic plate. Take it off and you discover four threaded holes to fix a finder like you can see on the Psychwolf 90 FL.

Those black patches I have only seen on guide scopes.
  • Terra Nova likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics