•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Celestron 127 Mak on CGEM II mount

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 bakernyc

bakernyc

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 January 2021 - 11:07 AM

Hello - I'm looking at a CGEM II mount (big upgrade from my SLT) to mount my 127 mak. Quick question - what type of dovetail/change do I need to make to allow the mounting of my mak to this mount. I think it has a vixen bar on it now. Any links/instructions to specific hardware/installation would be appreciated. Thank you!

#2 Jim Davis

Jim Davis

Aurora

• Loc: Lewisberry, PA

Posted 24 January 2021 - 11:14 AM

Hello - I'm looking at a CGEM II mount (big upgrade from my SLT) to mount my 127 mak. Quick question - what type of dovetail/change do I need to make to allow the mounting of my mak to this mount. I think it has a vixen bar on it now. Any links/instructions to specific hardware/installation would be appreciated. Thank you!

The CGEM II has a dual Losmandy-Vixen mount. Your scope will attach just fine.

#3 macdonjh

macdonjh

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 24 January 2021 - 11:16 AM

However, you may find you need a new, smaller, counter weight to get your scope to balance.  Notice the tiny, and custom-made, weight in the photo below.

4 in Mak on G 11.jpg

#4 Hesiod

Hesiod

Aurora

Posted 24 January 2021 - 11:56 AM

A stable mount is always nice to have, but if do not plan to upgrade the tube soon there are much lighter alternatives than the 30kg heavy cgem2...

#5 bakernyc

bakernyc

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 January 2021 - 12:25 PM

Hey folks. Yep thanks, look like it has a dual mount so should be all set.

So I ordered one. I already have starsense and the wifi module and was between this and an Atlas and I pulled the trigger.

I noticed it doesn't come with a polar scope?? Do people typically buy one or just do the ASPA after alignment? If you do ASPA does it matter when your mount is oriented (I don't get the ASPA thing). I thought I'd just polar align using a scope and then align/calibrate through  starsense?

If anyone has a good method for starsense CGEM polar and goto alignment please let me know your secrets! :)

#6 Jaimo!

Jaimo!

Skylab

• Moderators
  • Loc: 3rd Stone from the Sun

Posted 24 January 2021 - 06:19 PM

Hey Baker, 

Happy New Mount Day!   I'm sure you will enjoy your new toy.

As for the polar scope, I have them on all of my mounts and NEVER use them... it was popular years ago but there are many newer and better options available today.  Using the Celestron hand control, there is a function called All-Star Polar Alignment (see and THIS from Celestron  THIS YouTube video).  I use it for planetary imaging and works nicely.  If you get into imaging, there are a number of ways to polar align using plate solving and the camera, i.e. SharpCap and ZWO ASIair.

Enjoy your new mount,

Jaimo!

• bakernyc likes this

#7 bakernyc

bakernyc

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 January 2021 - 09:17 PM

Thanks! I have a star sense and planning to use that with this mount. I assume I let it do the star sense auto align and then follow the polar align procedure after?

#8 Jaimo!

Jaimo!

Skylab

• Moderators
  • Loc: 3rd Stone from the Sun

Posted 24 January 2021 - 11:56 PM

Thanks! I have a star sense and planning to use that with this mount. I assume I let it do the star sense auto align and then follow the polar align procedure after?

Yep.

• bakernyc likes this

#9 bakernyc

bakernyc

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 January 2021 - 12:55 PM

Got the mak and cgem ii all up and running last week. Manual polar align, Starsense auto, ASPA, auto again. 15 mph winds, 30 mph gusts and single digit temps in CT but I had to test it out. Really like this mount. Even with the wind had a strong track on Schedar and grabbed this 90 second sub at 800 iso:

http://nova.astromet...29484#annotated (also discovered astrometry.net)

Although when I slewed over to Andromeda area and took some subs I was seeing trails. I think it was probably the wind or maybe cause I didn't add any cal references over there. 

Not sure I have the weight balance right. Seems to pull east a little (which I understand it should to hedge any backlash) with the one large counterweight all the way at the top, but not sure I'm balancing right at all. Here's the setup. Seems like the battery I have keeps it running pretty well...

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_5496 (1).jpg

• Jaimo! likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics