•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Set up questions on Wireless Tethering via Mini-Pc

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 udayankapur

udayankapur

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: New Delhi, India

Posted 24 January 2021 - 11:24 AM

Hi everyone,

I have a Mini pc with 64GB SSD, 4GB RAM with Celeron 1.10 Ghz processor, pre installed windows 10. The mini pc also comes with in-built wifi and I will use its 4 usb (3.0) ports to mount

(i) Nikon D5500 usb cable

(ii) ASI 120mm mini 

(iii) shoestring astronomy Cable

(iv) Rigel system focuser

I have already installed Ascom drivers, APT, sharpcap pro, PHD2, CdC and 'Any Desk' in the Mini pc with help of hdmi cable when connected to a TV.

I want to wireless tether my equipment (heq5 + sharpstar CF 80mm + Nikon D5500 + ASI 120mm mini) using a Mini Pc on my laptop wirelessly.

When I Shut down Mini pc using my TV and then detach the mini pc from TV, and then switch the mini pc back on, I cannot log in as I cannot launch Any Desk via my wifi router network.

I'm not able to understand the wireless tethering setup so that I can remotely/wirelessly tether my DSO equipment which sits out on my balcony and I can remotely access it from my room (same house).

Please help and advise what do I do to make my setup wireless.

Thanks in Advance

#2 pyrasanth

pyrasanth

Soyuz

Posted 24 January 2021 - 11:48 AM

Look up on the internet how to RDP to a remote desktop computer from your computer inside your house (your outside mini PC is the desktop you want to connect to). That will give you all the information you need.

I have a server in my garage which is hard wired to the telescope setup in my garden. I can sit in my office & RDP to the server which controls the telescope. That server has an aeriel on the garage roof connected to a powerful asus wifi card that sends data to a repeater in my lounge which amplifies the data signal to reach my office router.

Most mini PC's  (I have an intel NUC) will happily work without a keyboard or monitor or mouse connected. They are ideal for what you are trying to do as well as the PC you currently have. There are a number of expensive computers designed for out door telescope connectivity however you can be doing the job for a fraction of the cost.

• udayankapur likes this

#3 robbieg147

robbieg147

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Kent, England

Posted 24 January 2021 - 12:05 PM

I am not sure if if this is answering your question but the default setting of anydesk is not to allow unattended connections, you need to go to settings and switch to the security tab and enable unattended access.

As mentioned above there are many ways of doing this quite cheaply, I need to keep weight down so I just use a USB hub connected by a cat 7 cable totally reliable. I prefer to stay by the scope but can go inside with the laptop whenever I feel like it. 

#4 udayankapur

udayankapur

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 January 2021 - 01:58 AM

Look up on the internet how to RDP to a remote desktop computer from your computer inside your house (your outside mini PC is the desktop you want to connect to). That will give you all the information you need.

I have a server in my garage which is hard wired to the telescope setup in my garden. I can sit in my office & RDP to the server which controls the telescope. That server has an aeriel on the garage roof connected to a powerful asus wifi card that sends data to a repeater in my lounge which amplifies the data signal to reach my office router.

Most mini PC's  (I have an intel NUC) will happily work without a keyboard or monitor or mouse connected. They are ideal for what you are trying to do as well as the PC you currently have. There are a number of expensive computers designed for out door telescope connectivity however you can be doing the job for a fraction of the cost.

Great Idea, will surely try this setup as suggested !!! Thanks a lot !!!

#5 andysea

andysea

Aurora

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 25 January 2021 - 08:55 PM

I use Microsoft Remote Desktop. I found it to be the best solution for connecting to my NUC, however I am always connecting within a LAN.

The other caveat is that it requires Windows10 professional on the remote machine.

If you need remote access through the internet Anydesk works great or you may also try Chrome Remote Desktop.

#6 udayankapur

udayankapur

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 January 2021 - 11:57 AM

I use Microsoft Remote Desktop. I found it to be the best solution for connecting to my NUC, however I am always connecting within a LAN.

The other caveat is that it requires Windows10 professional on the remote machine.

If you need remote access through the internet Anydesk works great or you may also try Chrome Remote Desktop.

Thanks for your kind feedback, I also found out that both, the mini pc and the remote pc need to have' windows 10 pro' for the remote desktop feature to work if I want to go wireless.

Will be trying the setup by weekend.

Big thank for your assurance !!!

#7 udayankapur

udayankapur

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 January 2021 - 11:58 AM

I am not sure if if this is answering your question but the default setting of anydesk is not to allow unattended connections, you need to go to settings and switch to the security tab and enable unattended access.

As mentioned above there are many ways of doing this quite cheaply, I need to keep weight down so I just use a USB hub connected by a cat 7 cable totally reliable. I prefer to stay by the scope but can go inside with the laptop whenever I feel like it. 

Thanks for your response, I will try to go with the remote desktop software to connect both the computers wirelessly using the same router/network.

#8 MikiSJ

MikiSJ

Surveyor 1

• Loc: San Jose, CA

Posted 26 January 2021 - 12:09 PM

I agree with the suggestions for using Windows Remote Desktop. It is free, simple to get working and simply works. In previous versions of Windows X, it was necessary to have the 'Pro' version on both computers, I believe that is not now the case, but something to be aware of of before you begin.

Also, make sure your WiFi connection is good and that the scopeside WiFi component is up to the task. I was using a laptop with a Celeron processor that was simply not up to the job and would frequently drop out or freeze requiring a reboot. I recently upgraded the scopeside computer to a NUC style computer running an AMD Ryzen 7 with 8gb of memory. It runs all of my scopeside control programs nicely without and hiccups.

#9 udayankapur

udayankapur

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 28 January 2021 - 02:40 PM

I agree with the suggestions for using Windows Remote Desktop. It is free, simple to get working and simply works. In previous versions of Windows X, it was necessary to have the 'Pro' version on both computers, I believe that is not now the case, but something to be aware of of before you begin.

Also, make sure your WiFi connection is good and that the scopeside WiFi component is up to the task. I was using a laptop with a Celeron processor that was simply not up to the job and would frequently drop out or freeze requiring a reboot. I recently upgraded the scopeside computer to a NUC style computer running an AMD Ryzen 7 with 8gb of memory. It runs all of my scopeside control programs nicely without and hiccups.

Many thanks for your kind feedback !!! Will try the setup this weekend, So looking forward to. I also checked my both, mini pc & the laptop have pre-installed windows 10 Pro version !! Blessing in disguise ! Not sure, how the mini pc wifi range will performance though, but I do appreciate your kind input !!!

#10 MikiSJ

MikiSJ

Surveyor 1

Posted 28 January 2021 - 06:09 PM

I just re-read the OP and you mentioned you will be using a Nikon D5500. This camera has USB bulb capability and you won't need the Shoestring cable. See: https://www.otelesco...-backyardnikon/

#11 udayankapur

udayankapur

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 29 January 2021 - 03:03 PM

I just re-read the OP and you mentioned you will be using a Nikon D5500. This camera has USB bulb capability and you won't need the Shoestring cable. See: https://www.otelesco...-backyardnikon/

Hi, I'm using APT instead of BKN. Will the 'shoestring usb cable' work with APT while remote viewing and to control the mount for different exposures for DSO, plz advise.

#12 MikiSJ

MikiSJ

Surveyor 1

Posted 29 January 2021 - 03:21 PM

I don't understand why you need the 'shoestring usb cable'. The Nikon D5500 supports USB Bulb connections wherever the Nikon D5500 is supported and just use a suitable USB cable with the proper connection for the D5500.

My recollection is that APT supports Nikon cameras, but you will need to investigate that on your own. I currently use SG Pro and Nikon D5500 cameras are supported. You can save images in FITS or NEF or FITS + NEF. Give SGPro a try. It is not free but reasonably priced.  

#13 udayankapur

udayankapur

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 31 January 2021 - 06:46 AM

I don't understand why you need the 'shoestring usb cable'. The Nikon D5500 supports USB Bulb connections wherever the Nikon D5500 is supported and just use a suitable USB cable with the proper connection for the D5500.

My recollection is that APT supports Nikon cameras, but you will need to investigate that on your own. I currently use SG Pro and Nikon D5500 cameras are supported. You can save images in FITS or NEF or FITS + NEF. Give SGPro a try. It is not free but reasonably priced.  

I bought shoestring usb cable to connect the mount with computer, anything wrong in that ? Why are you so aggressive in your replies ?

#14 udayankapur

udayankapur

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 09 February 2021 - 07:23 AM

Big thanks !!!!!!!!!!! the remote desktop software/setup for laptop and the mini pc is working. The entire setup is now wireless.

Had to take help from a network engineer for setting up, in the end, all works well now.

Thanks again !!!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics