•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Skyprodigy - Altitude motor not moving

Celestron mount
  • Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Cannopa

Cannopa

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 January 2021 - 02:35 PM

I'm trying to fix a friend's Skyprodigy mount. He's not used it for a year or so and, while the azimuth motor works, there is no movement in the altitude. I've swapped over the connectors for the motors at the control board and the azimuth continues to work (now using the up/down buttons) but still no movement in the altitude; so I feel reasonably confident it's a problem with the altitude motor and not the control board.

However, I cannot see how to disassemble the mount to access this motor. I've removed the base and the screw by the power connector as well as the main nut on the spindle, but this doesn't seem to help. I can see there are a number of screws with Allen key heads behind a couple of plates but am reluctant to try them as I'm not sure if they are only for allignment. Additionally I'm uclear if I need to disassemble the camera first, and if so how.

I've found Mike Swanson's notes and photos but these do not seem to match this model with the StarSense Camera.

Any hints or tips would be gratefully accepted before I dive in further.

Many thanks

Peter

#2 Cannopa

Cannopa

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 January 2021 - 08:51 AM

We just had a response from Celestron and apparently there's nobody offering repairs in the UK and a quote from a Germany would not be economic. So I guess there's nothing lost in trying everything I can see !

• mclewis1 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Celestron, mount

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics