•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Dark Bias and Flats

astrophotography ccd Celestron CMOS dso imaging SCT
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 arshadwm

arshadwm

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Houston

Posted 24 January 2021 - 04:15 PM

Hi all. I need advise. 

while taking dark and bias, can I block the corrector plate with black plastic cover like bathinov mask but without any cuts fully covered. And same for flats if I cover with white plastic cover ? 

Attached Thumbnails

• 8E1EF641-7DA3-4007-B386-CCD5462D7567.jpeg

#2 Alex McConahay

Alex McConahay

Voyager 1

• Loc: Moreno Valley, CA

Posted 24 January 2021 - 04:36 PM

Darks and biases should have NO light hitting the sensor. Cover the end of the tube with an opaque cover. 

In addition, if your have any light leaks, an open tube, or anything else such as that, you should cover them. 

As I said....no light at all during darks and biases. 

Flats are fine with the translucent cover. 

Alex

Edited by Alex McConahay, 24 January 2021 - 04:37 PM.

#3 sg6

sg6

Cosmos

• Loc: Norfolk, UK.

Posted 24 January 2021 - 04:49 PM

Darks and Bias are in effect both black = no light getting to the sensor at all.

It is the duration of the 2 that differes but in simple terms both are lightless.

Flats are with some form of diffuser over the scope+camera system and that has to be evenly illuminated. Many will suggest a white T-shirt or similar material BUT do not illuminate with a single light source directly in front as the center will be brighter. I place 2 light sources to either side but out of the view of the scope. Seems to work OK, and fortunately I have 4 LED lamps I can use.

The Flats take a bit more effort and setup then the Darks and Bias.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: astrophotography, ccd, Celestron, CMOS, dso, imaging, SCT

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics